God bless tubes.....

jrlemonz

I had a Line 6 head. I used the JCM800 model, liked it, so I bought a JCM800 2205 and Marshall 1960B. Fuck, Line6's JCM800 is a pretty stale knockoff at the real thing. I am now a tube addict, I just wish that Line 6 made all the effects on their amps into a floorboard (not 4 thigns that cost $250 each), cause I REALLY miss being able to walk up to the amp and be Like "hmm.....try out some delay on this sound" and just turn the little knob. That and the Line6 clean sounds were better then the JCM's, but they were also not supposed to sound like the Marshall, they were supposed to sound like a Vox (and I'm sure the Vox sounds 500% better)

Jake

5 12AX7's and 2 EL34's. WHy would I try out Ampegs? I am very happy with my Marshall, I just need to get some sort of multieffects board to get the versatility of the Line6 back..

Jake

Just for fun and to check out some different tube amps. Next time your in a music store and have some spare time play through some old ampegs if they have any. The V4 and VT22 are monsters, 4 7027A output tubes. The reverbrocket and gemini amps are real nice to. The new ones are pretty good also. I have a Lee Jackson Ampeg VL1002 tube head with built in attenuator and bias switching for 6550 or EL34 tubes. Pretty cool. I never suggested buying one, I thought you were just interested in tube amps and tube amp sound.

I had two McIntosh MI200A 200 watt amps once. RCA8000 output tubes, two of them, big giant things. The power supplies were seperate entities, as big as an amp head and used the 5u4gb rectifiers. You could cook on those amps. The output tubes were the almost the size of a beer bottle.

Back