GOAL: sell 100 cds online (need advise to achieve this)

-Have a great product
-Promote on different message boards, myspace, and anywhere else you can think of (don't spam!)
-Make sure your music is available at all hours of the day, any day of the week
-Don't describe your music like this "RANDOM BAND sounds like nothing you've ever heard before!" ...because trust me, i've heard it before..and if you dont sound like anyone, then why should i listen?
-Look professional- make nice flyers, nice online banners...if you cant do this, get someone to do it for you.
-Cross promote with other artists

Just some side notes: As a local artist you will MORE THAN TRIPLE your sales if you walk around to people after your show and ask them if they have your cd yet. If you set up a table, you will NOT sell well because its not personal and some people are too embarrased to go up to a table and feel pressured. So honestly, you are going to REALLY have to bust your ass to sell 100 cs on the internet as opposed to talking to people at shows.

I did some research earlier...I used myspace and found that only 30% of the people I pitched my band to went and checked us out. Out of that 30%, 25% actually enjoyed our music...so there ya have it...only 25% of people that see your music online will be interested in buying your cd. THIS ISN'T A FACT, JUST MY OWN RESEARCH. Results will CERTAINLY vary. Music is about a buzz, if you ave a buzz then more people will become interested...but you have to take it one slow step at a time.

Hope this helps you out! Good Luck!

songwritten said:
-Have a great product
-Promote on different message boards, myspace, and anywhere else you can think of (don't spam!)
-Make sure your music is available at all hours of the day, any day of the week
-Don't describe your music like this "RANDOM BAND sounds like nothing you've ever heard before!" ...because trust me, i've heard it before..and if you dont sound like anyone, then why should i listen?
-Look professional- make nice flyers, nice online banners...if you cant do this, get someone to do it for you.
-Cross promote with other artists

Just some side notes: As a local artist you will MORE THAN TRIPLE your sales if you walk around to people after your show and ask them if they have your cd yet. If you set up a table, you will NOT sell well because its not personal and some people are too embarrased to go up to a table and feel pressured. So honestly, you are going to REALLY have to bust your ass to sell 100 cs on the internet as opposed to talking to people at shows.

I did some research earlier...I used myspace and found that only 30% of the people I pitched my band to went and checked us out. Out of that 30%, 25% actually enjoyed our music...so there ya have it...only 25% of people that see your music online will be interested in buying your cd. THIS ISN'T A FACT, JUST MY OWN RESEARCH. Results will CERTAINLY vary. Music is about a buzz, if you ave a buzz then more people will become interested...but you have to take it one slow step at a time.

Hope this helps you out! Good Luck!

fantastic advice, thanks heaps mate

Back