Go easy on me! Depressing Country Music cover

It's pretty rough I will have to tell you. Check your guitar on that one to start with. You also really could use some feeling in the guitar playing. I think your vocals are pretty good.

I am not going to BS you here. A lot of work needed for this recording. If you are trying to do this in one shot, you are going to struggle. Very few artists record in one take all at once.

If you don't have one already, think about an Interface, decent mic and a DAW to get started with. If you are in the US, and if you already have a computer that is only 2-4 years old, you can get setup for $200 bucks. Cheaper if you look on Craigslist for someone exiting music.

Don't give up, this stuff isn't as easy as people think.

Your style reminds me a bit of Nola on this forum.

I like the song. It needs a little work. Personally, I'd boost the tempo--try adding 10 BPM. It's too much like a dirge. Also your guitars are too loud. They are drowning out your drums and bass. I'd suggest muting the guitars, getting a balance between vocal, drums, and bass, then bringing the guitars back up to a level where they support--but don't dominate--the recording. Before you do that, find the guitar with the tuning problem and retrack it.

Definitely either increase the BPM, or double up on the strumming. I guess it would depend on how you want the melody to feel. It's kinda nice at the pace you've got here, but it doesn't fit well with your guitar strumming. Doubling up on the strumming, you could keep the same melody pacing - or increasing the BPM would let you speed up the melody too, but that would affect the feel of the melody. I think it might sound better with a fiddle in place of the guitar.

I'm fine with the tempo. Totally comfy going there.
But you do want to own it :>) As in lay back into it.
No pushing! :>)

I love this.
I like the picture too.
Back in the day men loaded barrels of bourbon from here and floated down to New Orleans.
Then they walked back on the Natchez Trace.

The vocal remind me of Pete Yorn.

The guitar could be tighter.

I think a louder high hat in double time would help the tempo be not so sluggish. But the more times I listen the better I like it as-is.

Mabe some strings toward the end.

I live near the Ohio river.
Here is what I think I heard. Sorry if this is enraging.

When It's time for work to go.
In my boat I row
Across the mighty Ohio
When the evening light is falling
And I look towards Floyd's Knobs
Where the after glories go
And I dream of steel fried eyes
Where be merry now baloon
She's my beatiuous cat a mew
She's my joy and solitude
Though I know she is untrue
Oh but I cannot live without her