GLS mics?

I've got 3 of the 58's and 3 of the 57's. I only just now bought a "real" 58, so I haven't been able to compare them--though the bands I've used them in live situations like 'em every bit as much as the Shures.

I do have Shure 57's in the studio (vintage 70's mics, but I'm sure the same as today's) and a while back I did guitar cab shootout. There were a bunch of other mics in there, but the GLS 57 & Shure 57 are in there too. Like others have said, they're different but good, maybe just as good. The GLS 57 has a mid bump like the Shure, but I think it's a bit lower, giving it it's own sound. But here--check it out for yourself:

http://www.spottedmuse.com/shootout/

Am I crazy to think I will get a decent sound out of them?
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=microphones
Somebody tell me theyre just as good as the real thing:D
Mike

..."they're just as good as the real thing"...there, I said it

(more sensitive with higher output than the originals, but IMHO, they are every bit as useful...I use 'em in both the studio and for live gigs...and, I have recommended them to others who also use them as well...you can't beat the price/quality equation)

I love them!

I have 3 58's and 6 57's.

They don't sound exactly like the originals, but they are darn good mics!

Well coming from you thats quite a testament for these mics!

I've got 3 of the 58's and 3 of the 57's. I only just now bought a "real" 58, so I haven't been able to compare them--though the bands I've used them in live situations like 'em every bit as much as the Shures.

I do have Shure 57's in the studio (vintage 70's mics, but I'm sure the same as today's) and a while back I did guitar cab shootout. There were a bunch of other mics in there, but the GLS 57 & Shure 57 are in there too. Like others have said, they're different but good, maybe just as good. The GLS 57 has a mid bump like the Shure, but I think it's a bit lower, giving it it's own sound. But here--check it out for yourself:

http://www.spottedmuse.com/shootout/

What a cool comparison you posted there, I hadnt seen it before. I listened to a lot of those clips (kudos on the playing by the way:cool:) and couldnt hear a drastic difference between the Shure and GLS mics. That pretty much convinced me!

Now for one last question, Im new to micing drums. I know the SM57s are a popular choice for guitar cabs, how about toms, snare, hi-hat or as overheads?

Thanks for all your help guys, pos rep to all of you:) except WhiteStrat because I must spread more around!

Mike

Snare: yes; Toms: could be--gotta try and see if they work with your toms. Some even use 'em on kick. Hi-hat or overhead? Not for me at least. I always use condensers.

I've used them on toms with a fair amount of success. At least as good as a regular 57. Not quite md421 material, but hey, they cost less than a tenth of the price.

I also like how the gls 57 doesn't have the swivel grill. That is so very annoying on the shure 57.

I might also add that they've had more gain before feedback in the PA situations I've used them in than the shures. Also, sm58s and sm57s seem to have "steal me" written all over then within the proximity of sketchy rock bands. The off-brand stuff seems to stay in my possession more often.

It would be daft not to buy some of these if you live in the states.

Theres just not been mention of them in a while as they were really trendy for a short time and then people forgot about them which is the way these things go, but given the cost, these microphones are an incredible bargain.

I'm not in the states and they don't sell abroad, so when someone sold a bunch of them secondhand I had to fight for them on e-bay. I also had to buy a few to overcome the shipping cost and then they got hit by customs, but despite all that hastle it was still totally worth it.

I fought to get these microphones but you can just buy them brand new on the merest whim, and I really think you should!

Yes they are cheap but their value is not in financial terms. :)

Get a bunch of GLC57's you won't regret it!

love

Freya

GLS Audio ES-57 & ES-58 mics

Hello Everyone!

My name is Bryan Sunda and I'm one of the owners of Orange County Speaker & SpeakerRepair.com. We really appreciate all your nice comments about our GLS Audio ES-57 mics and ES-58 mics. We've been distributing all the GLS Audio products for about 6 years now and had excellent customer response.

We're the exclusive world wide distributor for all GLS Audio products. And we can ship to just about anywhere in the world. Our online ordering at SpeakerRepair.com only allows for USA addresses, but you are more than welcome to call us at 714-554-8520 and we can ship outside the USA for you. We use Priority Airmail for all shipments outside the USA. The shipping cost as of today (8-28-08) for Non-USA addresses is $29 for 1 mic, $47 for 3 mics, or $65 for 10 mics.

If you have any questions or would like to place an order please call us at 800-897-8373 or 714-554-8520.

Thanks again for all your positive comments!

Best Regards,
Bryan Sunda

Orange County Speaker, Inc.
SpeakerRepair.com
12141 Mariners Way
Garden Grove CA 92843
800.897.8373 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
714.554.8520 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
---------------------

Thanks Bryan!

I'm going to file this away so the next time someone asks about buying outside the U.S. I can give them the info. Glad to know you're willing to help folks get the mics. They really are good!

I bought mine as a walk in. I don't remember who the person was who helped me.

Thanks for checking in Bryan! 6 mics, a replacement speaker and dozens of every permutation of patch & mic cable known to man--all great stuff, and every order handled perfectly. Your little company is a refreshing pleasure to do business with.

(NO--I don't work there or know Bryan!)

Thanks for checking in Bryan! 6 mics, a replacement speaker and dozens of every permutation of patch & mic cable known to man--all great stuff, and every order handled perfectly. Your little company is a refreshing pleasure to do business with.

(NO--I don't work there or know Bryan!)
Well, I DO know Bryan - and he's a pretty nice (and honest) guy. If he's putting these mics out, I know he stands behind them.

And I don't even own any of his mics. :D

I also like how the gls 57 doesn't have the swivel grill. That is so very annoying on the shure 57.

Why on earth would the swivel grill annoy you? I can't think of any situation where I thought, "those damn swivel grills annoy me". Sorry to rant but it just seems like a really silly thing to let bother you.

To the guys asking if 57's sound good on toms take a listen to the track Peace and Blood on this band's myspace. I used 57's in the toms(first time actually) and I think they turned out really great and really cut through the mix. www.myspace.com/ironfistdillusion

GLS Audio Microphones / We ship outside the USA through eBay

Hi Isfahani.

Thanks for bringing up eBay. I forgot to mention that we sell the GLS Audio mics and all the other GLS Audio products on the USA eBay site. Anyone outside the USA can order from us on eBay and have the products shipped to just about anywhere in the world. Or just skip eBay and call us direct and we'll write up the orders over the phone (714-554-8520).

In regards to not responding to private messages, Eric and I do respond to every email and every eBay message. If eBay provided us your email address then the response would have been sent through regular email (not through eBay). Unfortunately with the way spam has inundated the world today, sometimes emails get marked as spam that are actually legitimate (Yahoo, Hotmail, and AOL are the worst offenders). Many ISPs and email services will filter email they think is spam before it gets to you. Unfortunately this may be what happened. If you're located in the USA you can call us Toll Free at 800-897-8373 M-F 9am-5pm. Outside the USA please call us at 714-554-8520.

Thanks again to everyone for all the nice comments and support. We really appreciate it!!!

Best Regards,
Bryan Sunda

Orange County Speaker, Inc.
SpeakerRepair.com
12141 Mariners Way
Garden Grove CA 92843
800.897.8373 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
714.554.8520 M-F 9am to 5pm Pacific Time
---------------------

Why on earth would the swivel grill annoy you? I can't think of any situation where I thought, "those damn swivel grills annoy me". Sorry to rant but it just seems like a really silly thing to let bother you.

I once had a cellist mic'd up with a regular 57 (live sound, not recording). She found out that she could screw around with it, and send some very interesting noises through the PA.

She thought it was "funny".

Other things that annoy me are when people chew with their mouths open, use cell phones while driving, wrap cables over their arms, send me business emails in shorthand...

I guess, like any other person, really silly things bother me.

Back