Gls Es-57??

xmortumx

I need a snare/cab mic is this mic useful or is it totally a shitful duplicate of the sm57.

Just wondering because i heard some people say that its a good duplicate of the sm57 but i want to hear it form you guys. have any experienced with it?

Xmortum

I know it's going to sound like I'm being a smart a@@, but try searching on the following terms:

ES57 or...

orangecountyspeaker.com

I know I've posted in at least 10 threads on these mics in the past two years. I like them very much...even more than the shure variant for instrument mic'ing.

The same (for me) is not true with the ES58...I prefer the SM58 for voice (live).

Bottom line is that I have found the ES-57 to be a very nice mic for recording instruments...especially snare/drums/guitar amps. For some reason I find they are less hyped in the upper mids (as compared to an SM-57), and thus they tend to be more linear in response (to my ears)...just slightly so.

Jay

The GLS ES-57 is a very useful mic!

I have used it on many occasions and currently use it on my snare drum. I would say it does everything an SM57 does just fine.

I don't mean to promote my little shootout, but I've compared the two "57's" (along with 4 others).

The shootout's only on cabs, not snare, but if you're familiar with the Shure (or any others in the shootout) you can see how the GLS compares.

Here's the link to the main page (the pages with the sound files are listed at the bottom):

http://www.spottedmuse.com/shootout/

I don't mean to promote my little shootout, but I've compared the two "57's" (along with 4 others).

The shootout's only on cabs, not snare, but if you're familiar with the Shure (or any others in the shootout) you can see how the GLS compares.

Here's the link to the main page (the pages with the sound files are listed at the bottom):

http://www.spottedmuse.com/shootout/

That's great, man. The GLS and the Shure sounded so similar. For $30 I think nobody could go wrong with one of this mics. The e835 sounds really good too. Those were my favorite ones.

so this would be a decent choice to mic up some toms/snare with? i need some sort of mics to replace my shitty CAD tom mics. would these be a good candidate?

yeah i've been using the CAD mic on the bottom of my snare, with an EV Co4 on top. I'm pretty happy with my snare sound, but my toms sound like total ass recorded (though they sound great normally)

Back