GLS ES-57 vs.REAL Shure SM57

mattimus

ok.. im broke... and want a 57... i found the gls es-57 for $29.99 ($35 for me in canada).. now the real sm57 is $120 here... is the real 57 REALLY $90 better? i want to use it for guitar cabs and snare drums

Please look...

below in this forum - there are two recent threads about these exact microphones. I, for one, actually prefer the ES-57. I've been using it alongside SM-57's for the past year.

Just my .02 worth.

Cheers,
Jay

No. The real 57 is not $90 better. Unless you're willing to pay for a mic that is 5% lower in volume and has a swivel grill. The GLS-57s are good mics. Great for drums, especially toms.

I ordered and use 3 of the ES57's. Never used the sm57, but am going to A/B against an authentic next week sometime. From what I've read I won't be hearing too much of a difference, which is a good thing.

im opening a project studio to record mostly punk bands... so quality isn't tooo high. i just want something that will allow a snare to crack and let a guitar cab rip

I A/B'ed them (see my thread below), basically the ES-57 was higher output and brighter than the SM57, with a less bottom end.

ah doesn't matter.. the stupid store doesn't ship to canada.. becausei i can see there being so much more effort... tards

mattimus said:
ah doesn't matter.. the stupid store doesn't ship to canada.. becausei i can see there being so much more effort... tards
Found at http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsfaq.html#7:

"We can ship Insured Air Mail Parcel Post to the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Portugal, Scotland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, Vietnam, and Wales."

I will agree that they need more info on foreign shipping. Have you tried emailing them?

not the same. mine has more low end and a hollow sounding low mid, can't remember the rest of the spectrum, but it wasn't bad.

my e-mail to them:

> Item: 3 GLS Audio ES-57 ES57 Pro Mic Instr Microphone #37-206 (7396033296)
> This message was sent while the listing was active.
> mikeklopot is a potential buyer.
> ---------------------------------------
> your site says you ship only to the us... i live in canada... you wont ship to
> canada?

there reply:

"Hi,

Sorry, we can only ship to US addresses.

Best Regards,
Eric Sunda
Orange County Speaker, Inc.
800-897-8373 M-F 10am - 6pm Pacific Time
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/
-----"

so yeah...

i just got a $400 cheque for a site i designed... $160 is going topwards buying a 2nd samsung 19" flat screen monitor ( i bhought his first one a year ago... and now im going dual... 2 19" flat screens for $320), $50 gors against my mastercard bill.. and that leaves $190 left for studio stuff i guess

Maybe if you come across someone in the US who is buying some, you could spot them a few extra bucks to pick up one for you and ship it to you.

On a side note, I have a couple of V-tech mics that look just like those and I have always loved the sound of them. Not sure of the model right now or if they are still made but I think I got them for around $20.

mattimus said:
my e-mail to them:

> Item: 3 GLS Audio ES-57 ES57 Pro Mic Instr Microphone #37-206 (7396033296)
> This message was sent while the listing was active.
> mikeklopot is a potential buyer.
> ---------------------------------------
> your site says you ship only to the us... i live in canada... you wont ship to
> canada?

there reply:

"Hi,

Sorry, we can only ship to US addresses.

Best Regards,
Eric Sunda
Orange County Speaker, Inc.
800-897-8373 M-F 10am - 6pm Pacific Time
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/
-----"

so yeah...

i just got a $400 cheque for a site i designed... $160 is going topwards buying a 2nd samsung 19" flat screen monitor ( i bhought his first one a year ago... and now im going dual... 2 19" flat screens for $320), $50 gors against my mastercard bill.. and that leaves $190 left for studio stuff i guess

innobidova said:
Found at http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsfaq.html#7:

"We can ship Insured Air Mail Parcel Post to the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Portugal, Scotland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, Vietnam, and Wales."

I will agree that they need more info on foreign shipping. Have you tried emailing them?
I like how they count England, Scotland and Wales as three seperate countries :D

Mark7 said:
I like how they count England, Scotland and Wales as three seperate countries :D

see, we Americans really don't take the time to learn about lands outside of our own. Well, we become experts when we are invading other lands and they are showing maps on Fox News all day long. But after the shock and awe is over, we soon forget. Part of the fun of being a super power I guess. Don't blame all of us though. Some of us try to suck less than the rest.

mattimus said:
anyone in the states want to buy me one and i can send them a cheque for it? i have free UPS from work so i can just give them my ups numbe and they can ship it to my office

e-mail me if your interested
MattimusKlopotimus@hotmail.com

I will let you know something in the next day. I am thinking about picking a few up. If I do, I will try to save face for us ugly Americans and help you out.

You would need to send a CHECK though! ;)

they have 3 packs... if you order one of those i will pay $30 american for one (you make like 5 bucks or something) and you keep the other two

again: mattimusklopotimus@hotmail.com

ok a lighter note.. my college and every other college in ontario has today officially gone on strike.. i pay a fortune in tuition and supplies and the teachers want smaller class sizes and more money... fuck them... when my cheque cleared i ceased to be a bargianing chip... get your asses back in the classroom and teach! im all for better work considions.. but im in fucking college.. i pay to be here and i shouldn't suffer because of shit that i didn't cause.

mattimus said:
they have 3 packs... if you order one of those i will pay $30 american for one (you make like 5 bucks or something) and you keep the other two

Cool, let me check it out. I have a few things on the list so I need to see if I can rearrange the list. :D

Back