GLS Audio ES-57

Alexbt

Hi all,

I just bought 3 of the GLS 57 clones, because I heard many good things about them, and that they are equal or better than the Shure 57s.

However, when I plugged it into my board, the signal level sounds lower than that of my other dynamic, an audio technica vocal mic w/ pop screen.

I was trying not to sing right into the 57, as it doesn't have a pop screen so I don't want to damage it. (Are dynamics as sensitive as condensers?)

I don't own any real 57s so I don't have much to compare to, but I'm wondering if any other GLS clone owners have noticed any problems.

The reason I bought them (2 of them have not even come in yet, shipping error) was to record guitar cabs and drums (snare, kick), and I'm hoping they'll do the job!

Alexbt said:
Hi all,

I just bought 3 of the GLS 57 clones, because I heard many good things about them, and that they are equal or better than the Shure 57s.

However, when I plugged it into my board, the signal level sounds lower than that of my other dynamic, an audio technica vocal mic w/ pop screen.

I was trying not to sing right into the 57, as it doesn't have a pop screen so I don't want to damage it. (Are dynamics as sensitive as condensers?)

I don't own any real 57s so I don't have much to compare to, but I'm wondering if any other GLS clone owners have noticed any problems.

The reason I bought them (2 of them have not even come in yet, shipping error) was to record guitar cabs and drums (snare, kick), and I'm hoping they'll do the job!

The GLS are actually a little hotter than an SM57. The output seems low because they were designed to handle high SPL's. The low output is not a 'problem'. Mics designed specifically for vocals have a higher output as vocals can't get as loud as drums.

Singing into a dynamic won't hurt it the way it would a condenser. A windscreen would be to stop plosives.

They are great on toms, snare and guitar cabs, but I don't know how well they will do on kick.

Well, it's either a 57, my AT 58-like mic, or the MXL 990 or 991 (which I own two of) on the kick.

So in effect I'll have 8 mics (4 condenser, 4 dynamic), but I only planned to use 6 of them, this being for a studio album recording session.

kid klash said:
Interesting... have you compared this mic to an AKG D-112? If so, what did you find?

No, but I could put it up against a Beta57. A friend of mine has one I could borrow for tests. The mic I used before trying this one was a CAD KBM-412. The Superlux kicked its ass!! Not that it wouldn't be hard to do.

Back