Glove's

When you think about it..if you need gloves to play you are playing way to hard and tense if you need to protect your hands. Drums and cymblas have a point where you don't have to hit them any harder to produce a louder tone. A solid stroke will sound better then a tense flail swail at 100mph anyday and take less strain and engery to do it.
But I guess we all like to bust them skins and get blisters!

The greatest drummers can maintain exceptional technique... even when busting out some major chops on the set. Dont believe me? Check out steve gadd. he is so relaxed while playing... plus, his technique lends an awesome openness to his sound.

I tried gloves several times just 'cause I thought it looked cool. I lost all sense of control and touch. Imagine having sex with 4 condoms on. Uuuuugh!

I've played alot of styles including some heavy, hard stuff. I was better off suffering through the blisters until I had good calluses. Even with calluses you still have the feel and control. I learned that when I was in Drum Corps and we would play warm ups from slow to fast for 45 minutes without stopping (except a 4 count tap to a faster tempo).

They're great for golf, though!

I agree that if you "need" gloves, there is something wrong with the way you are playing (gripping too hard, playing too stiff, etc). I wore gloves on a few gigs, when we did some extended summer touring (many years ago), but I did not like them, as has already been stated I felt I lost the intimate contact needed with the sticks.

Drummers that sing lol. My friends old band was a 3 piece, bassist on the left, and guitarist on the right, and the Drummer played away and sang every song. :D . My old drummer always put electrical tape on his fingers before he played any gig to save himself from the ol' blisters.

- idgeit

I am not asking because of over playing but because I used to sweat alot while playing! the lights were so damn hot, like being in a sauna or something.
I wiould use golfing gloves a left and right player glove, you know with the fingers cut out for control, oh for let's say finger rolls and the more light playing. mostly it was my palms that sweat and of course sweat from my forehead dripping all over the damn place, hell I could lose 5 to 10 pounds of water weight in one night from a 2hour show.

I'd invest in some cool towels to keep with your kit. If they are long and thin, you could keep one around your neck while you play. Tear 'em into strips. Another good thing for sweat is some medical tape on the sticks. I can sweat like a pig on a long gig. Also, non-varnished sticks work well, or sand the varnish off.

Zildjian now makes rubber dipped sticks, too.

Back