Glass Vocal booth

Miroslav thats shocking right? Am from Ghana he produced a track which got our artiste a bet award(best international african act)...and he even performed that track to the audience before the main event.the thing is here,if you got no booth its not a stud and you can only record demos(ignorance) and i can't help because they don't think about what you can do,its all about what you have

There's nothing to stop you building a booth - and if it only needs two walls and a roof, it's not even that tough to do - apart from just getting decent door sealing. Maybe the people that you want as clients usually use booths for isolation, so assume you should have one to get the same results, and to be honest, they may even be right. If the product needs silence and your kit makes a noise, then a booth, if no room is available, makes sense. My studio is not huge and the other room rarely gets used and is full of equipment not in use - my vocals being recorded in the main space, with the kit and noise!

Wow, I sang in a booth or two in the 80's. The smallest one was about 10 x 13 with 8' ceiling (about the size of my entire studio :eek:). Can't believe that people would actually want closet sized booths for their recording.

... here,if you got no booth its not a stud and you can only record demos(ignorance) and i can't help because they don't think about what you can do,its all about what you have

You have your work cut out for you then....it's hard selling anything to ignorance.

Don't feel bad...."eye candy" is used even in the million dollar studios. People think their music will sound better when they see equipment that they recognize as something that is considered top-shelf in audio keyword buzz.
Like if you say you have "Pro Tools"...even the most novice musician has heard of it these days, so there is an expectation of audio quality no matter what.

I just never realized anyone put that much importance in needing to see booths in studios. :D

Like if you say you have "Pro Tools"...even the most novice musician has heard of it these days, so there is an expectation of audio quality no matter what.

Even if you use Reaper or Audacity instead of ProTools, having it attracts clientele...:)
It's a silly world we live in.

There's nothing to stop you building a booth - and if it only needs two walls and a roof, it's not even that tough to do - apart from just getting decent door sealing. Maybe the people that you want as clients usually use booths for isolation, so assume you should have one to get the same results, and to be honest, they may even be right. If the product needs silence and your kit makes a noise, then a booth, if no room is available, makes sense. My studio is not huge and the other room rarely gets used and is full of equipment not in use - my vocals being recorded in the main space, with the kit and noise!

okay man...how do i seal the top of my booth?

If you are serious about building a vocal booth, you need to do it properly.

First the floor need to be isolated from the existing floor (floating floor), the walls are then built on top of the floating floor, then the ceiling is built on top of these walls. So nothing touches the existing building except the isolators under the floating floor.

The floating floor, walls & ceiling have to be stud construction with insulated between and be made of heavy enough mass to stop low frequencies entering. Windows have to be thick glass and double glassed, door needs to be solid core, thick and with very good sealing.

The booth also has to have some internal size to it so that it does not sound like a closet and the person inside does not feel in a prison cell. You will also need some kind of ventilation that does not let sound in.

Here a link to typical construction Link

Alan.

Wow, Alan, pictures at that link show SMALL rooms. I've never sung in a room that small. Do people really subject themselves to that?

Wow, Alan, pictures at that link show SMALL rooms. I've never sung in a room that small. Do people really subject themselves to that?

I would find it small, the larger size mentioned would be the absolute smallest room. Don't forget that these rooms are designed to be put inside a larger studio as there may be a band or orchestra playing with the singer and space may be at a premium. I would more likely build a larger drum isolation room and use it for vocals when no drums are being recorded but personally I really like my room as it is now and don't want to reduce the size by putting a booth in it.

Here is another article on building a vocal booth link.

Alan.

Well, you see. In the name of helping you, I'm staying away from the booth conversation. But I will suggest that you're not set up properly. You should be sitting facing one of the shorter walls. This is basic knowledge that you should be aware of if you're going to be making any kind of money off people. Personally, I think you should be spending more time learning the important aspects of your craft, rather than worrying about how things "look" to a bunch f people that don't know any better. Just my opinion.

Booth or not (you have your reasons, I won't get into it), the first thing I would do is change your workstation position to the "left" wall, so the monitors would fire at the longest room dimension. Then I would move the sofa to the "right" wall, right beside the door. Then I would bass trap the hell out of all the corners. Then I'd treat the first reflection points.

-----
EDIT: wow, after posting I saw that RAMI said almost the same thing I said. Maybe we're just two great minds thinkin' alike? lol...

Last edited:
Both or not (you have your reasons, I won't get into it), the first thing I would do is change your workstation position to the "left" wall, so the monitors would fire at the longest room dimension. Then I would move the sofa to the "right" wall, right beside the door. Then I would bass trap the hell out of all the corners.

-----
EDIT: wow, after posting I saw that RAMI said exactly the same thing I said. Maybe we're just two great minds thinkin' alike? lol...
Definitely great minds!!!!

But you took it an important step further by mentioning bass trapping, which is very important. Though, I wonder if their lack of "sex appeal" will cause this suggestion to be glossed over and ignored, as important as it is.

Though, I wonder if their lack of "sex appeal" will cause this suggestion to be glossed over and ignored, as important as it is.
...you mean those strange-looking black heavy things at the corners aren't sexy in the eyes of wimin' folk?!? Damn, that's must be why I never get lucky in the studio... lol

...you mean those strange-looking black heavy things at the corners aren't sexy in the eyes of wimin' folk?!? Damn, that's must be why I never get lucky in the studio... lol
:D

I get lucky in the studio, but it's WITH the bass traps....those things are stained.

(Too early in the morning?) :eek:

Nah, almost lunch time here, you're safe.

Well, my mixing studio doubles as my living room, so the sofas have seem a lot of action with the missus (if you know what I mean) - but NEVER while the room is being used for a mixing session. Maybe hearing 3 hours straight of only bass drum and bass lines (to EQ them juuuuuust right) has some kind of detrimental effect to a woman's libido?

this the payout of my room...where do you think i can place or build the boothView attachment 91484

You didn't give us the overall dimensions of the room, but if the scale of you/desk and sofa are any indication, this room is about 7ft x 12ft? If you put a 'booth' in it, then it'll be that much smaller. Do you really think anyone in your country is going to take you seriously with a room this small?

Maybe hearing 3 hours straight of only bass drum and bass lines (to EQ them juuuuuust right) has some kind of detrimental effect to a woman's libido?
Of course, it can't be YOU. :)

Of course, it can't be YOU. :)
Of course not! :laughings:

-----
OP, if you want shiny sexy things to attract clients to your studio, nothing beats lava lamps. No self-respecting studio owner would be caught dead without lava lamps running 24/7 in the studio.

Back