Glass Subsitute For Window In Studio?

React

Fiberglass or Thick See through plastic? i wanna make a window about 8x4 in my studio room so see into the console room when i make it.... What do i get thats cheapest or cheap adn where do i get it?

thanx

React

No substitute for glass. Sorry. Any hardware store will have glass. I used two patio door sized double paned pieces. They're about 30"x72".

how much will a big ass window cost?

That depends on your isolation needs which translates into thickness. And that is determined by your wall leaf transmission loss(weakest link syndrome), and whether or not you have double walls or single. If single, it still depends on whether you decoupled one leaf, and if not, then if you plan on a single or double pane. One pane does very little for isolation if less than 3/8" thick. A 3/8" pane that size is BIG BUCKS!! Personally, Track Rat has the right idea for econo solutions. Unless you've already framed for your given size.

Don't forget seals, neoprene or EDPM setting blocks, and if you are using double panes, your window jambs must be structurally isolated from each other by a minimum of 1/4" (double wall), and DON"T FORGET SILICA DECASANT(moisture absorbant) between the panes. Also, it is advisable to thoroughly and correctly clean the glass on the inside faces(double pane) prior to installation and handle with gloves or vacume lifts. A 3/8" glass pane that size is extremely heavy!!

To give you a clue to the reality of commercial studio glass, most are a minimum of 3/4" and some even have 1". It takes that to equal the STC of high isolation studio walls. But again, this is all determined by your needs and db profile of the sounds you are trying to isolate. Trying to isolate drums on by a standard residential partition is rediculous. Even adding mass to each leaf adds very little in transmission loss(TL), so using glass that has a higher loss factor than the wall or door is a waste of money and time. Many people don't understand the "weak link" syndrome. Your isolation is only as good as the weakest link. Therefore, ALL the assemblies need to be rated in the same TL class.

BTW, Track is right. Unless you can find transparent aluminum :D
fitZ

If I was doin' a hobbyist-semi-pro level studio I'd use a one room design like Ethan Winer's. If you must have a control room I'd find a sliding patio door and put it in sideways, with a little tilt so the reflections aren't as annoying.

Most of the sound leakage between my control room and studio was around the door threashhold by far. I ended up using lots of weather strip around the jam and mounting an additional door.

soooo lol... thanx for the info guys :) i read all of this on the sites spinster gave me for constructing a home studio i just wanted to know if i could use plastic or something cuz i mean..... the sounds getting out arent a real problem to me... it was the look i was going for...

i still dont know how much the glass would cost? lol

See if you can score some salvage bulletproof bank teller glass from one of the big building contractors. It's pretty wild stuff if you don't mind looking green all day. Sometimes it's cheap because there are very few uses for it and the thing ends up taking up space.

React said:
any other places i could get some glass?!

Look in the yellow pages. There is sure to be a glass suplier in your area, as they are an essential part of many construction jobs.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

We bought our plate glass from a local glass supplier. 4' x 6' window and it was less than $40 a piece cut to order. That's 1/4" thick. We asked them for used glass, it was about 1/3 the cost of new. Had to wait a couple weeks for the second piece, but it was worth it.

Back