Girls don't like me. And I'm looking for a new drum machine and sampler

Stinky

Hey Folks,

I've got a Boss DR550 drum machine that is just too damn smart for me. I HATE USING IT!!!!! I know it's a few years old and there are new ones to choose from, but can anyone recommend one that's easier to program. I record by myself and make up songs on the fly, so I would like something which is a bit less detrimental to creativity. Also, the drum sounds and patterns are kind of cheezy, so I'd like something less 80s metal.

I'm also in the market for a budget (around $200) sampler. Any suggestions?

There is only one thing to do. Get a drummer, get a drum set, chain the drummer to the chair, feed him once or twice a week with bread and milk (drummers don't deserve much more) and there you go, a drum machine.

On a serious note i could only suggest some computer software that would be easier to use; like making waves lite or simialar.

Check out the Boss SP202 sampler ($240) can record up to 40 secs and even more with a 32mb smart media card.

the sampler that guy just mentioned can also be sync'ed up tith a dr-202 drum machine they are the newest sequencer/ drum machines from boss,i do have the sp-202 sampler,and ass far as boss is concerned,they are the easiest to use,and they make a lot of sense.as of lately ,i have been working with more serious grooves and hip hop and funk ,i already have a dr-5,although it has 3 other sequencing tracks for bass and keys and piano,i just use it for the drum track,but the machine is great for mapping out song ideas,so when you are somewhere without equipment,you got the dr-5 ,you can put out all 4 tracks of a song idea,at least as a rough sketch.i do plan on getting the dr202 they have some sounds that i can't quite get on mine.but i can see what you mean about cheesy patterns,and wanting aN easier machine.i have spent countless hours fine tuning the sound and learning exactly how to make the best out of it.i had far too much time on my hands,but it was worth it,i do my best recording late at night and alone,plus,to find a drummer that can really do what i need ,and don't know any at the time.try the dr-5 or the new dr-770,i know both those well,and with the right tweaking,you can make those machines do exactly what you need,no matter what genre of music,there are so many sounds,and you can get in there and really tweak out the sounds to sound as real as possible or the opposite.it's better ,if you're doing your own songs ,to write your own patterns and then read the manual to do up the entire song start to finish.it will take a little time,but it's so worth it.i don't know the dr-202,but it's probably as nice as the others i mentioned,try that combo dr-202 and sp-202

DRUM MACHINE

The zoom rt-123 is a cool drum machine for the money. It's got some pretty decent drumkits 80 of'em, and it's real easy to program. It's an awsome drum machine for about $120.00
Check one out, T.

I also own the Boss dr202 Drum Machine. It's simple to program,has 'verb and flange and has some the best grooves
for a drum machine in it's price range. Synch it with the sp202 and you got yourself 1 smooth and easy to use set of
"canned" drums!

Zoom Rhythm Tracker drum machines

I've heard good things about the Ryhthm Tracker drum machines. I know there's a budget version and a more expensive one. What's the difference in quality and features?

Don't Take Your Guns to Town,

Stinky

Awsome for the money

Well If you can afford it, the bigger model is probably the way to go. I think this model is called the RT-234. I know one difference between the two, is a midi out that the RT-123 does not have.(My only gripe about it). But I'm sure if you go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com. They should have plenty of information about both units. We have to keep in mind these are zoom products, But believe you me. I was very impressed with the sound quality and overall performance of the RT-123.
Goodluck man!, T.

the sr-16 has those touch sensitive pads,those are always a plus,they give it a more human feel,if that's what you're looking for.but i agree with misterqcue go for boss,you already are familiar shell out the extra dough for the dr-770 they have the touch type pads ,like the sr-16.i know it's tempting to go with the alesis,because they are so goddamm cheap,but thewy are not quite as versatile.but hey,i am a freak,i am in love with my drum machine,10 odd years of hearing the drummer say "hey man,can you take care of my drums tonight,i wanna go home with that chick over there?"yeah drummers seem to volunteer other people to be their roadies.besides there are very few drummers that have perfect meter and tempo."how do you know when a drummer is at your door?" when the knock starts speeding up.

GO BOSS!

You guys are 100% correct I like the boss machines too, but I thought we were on a budget here. And don't forget, stinky said he wanted something easier to use than the boss. My zoom RT-123 has those wicked cool touch sensitive pads. They are an awsome feature.
Hey man if you got the green "GO BOSS!"
T.

[Edited by T.J.Hooker on 10-31-2000 at 07:08]

I have a SR-16. Low points, toms don't sound at all real, and crash sounds awfull.

If I got another machine, I would look for one that does a better job in these two areas.

I would probably go with Boss.

I'm going to wait till they make one, that sounds so real that you can't tell the difference. HaHa!

Back