Gina or Darla?

Professa Plum

So in musicians friend, they cost the same...but at guitar center Gina is $100 more...is Gina the clearly superior, or is there a tradeoff between the two?

Unless the 24 bit Gina has been released (it may come out any day), Darla24 is 24 A/D converters bit vs. the 20 A/D bit Gina card; but Gina has digital I/O. If you need digital I/O (e.g., importing DAT), that is a consideration. When the Darla24 card came out, it was reported to have a lower noise floor than the Gina (20 bit).

At last check, at zZounds (www.zzounds.com/a--2676837), they were exactly the same price ($289).

If you don't need digital I/O now, but think in the future you might like to go from 2 inputs to 4, you can buy a Darla24 now, and the Gina24 when it is available. There is a jumper that allows you to hook two Echo cards together. Or really splurge and buy one of the "big sisters." (Layla or Mona).

I have a Darla24 and have been very satisfied with it recording piano, guitar, vocals, and blues harp. It is has very nice features for the price. If you have other questions, contact Echo Audio through their website--they also have a utility to check out your system speed. I would also consider the Gadget labs cards, although I have no personal experience...

Best of luck,

Mark

Back