GINA AND LAYLA???

murdoc

Forgive me, I'm completely new to mixing and recording with a PC. If I have an Akai MPC 2000xl sampler(8 analog outs & a digital), turntables, and a proteus sound module, can I run all of these through the gina or layla cards. How many inputs do they have? Do they have midi ins and outs? Are they what I should be looking for, because I've considered getting a mackie board, but I'd prefer something less costly.

murdoc said:
Forgive me, I'm completely new to mixing and recording with a PC. If I have an Akai MPC 2000xl sampler(8 analog outs & a digital), turntables, and a proteus sound module, can I run all of these through the gina or layla cards. How many inputs do they have? Do they have midi ins and outs? Are they what I should be looking for, because I've considered getting a mackie board, but I'd prefer something less costly.

The Layla is what I use. It has 8 1/4" inputs, and 10 1/4" outputs. It also has midi in and out, I've never used the midi, but it's there.

Saying you'd get a Layla instead of a mixing board is kind of like saying you'd get a car instead of a TV... they don't have much to do with each other. The way I've always run the sound, I've gone into the mixer, and then into the Layla so I can get EQ and all that good stuff.

If you're just looking at cost... the Layla cost me about $800 just for it, and then since my computer came with sound on the mother board, which doesn't work with the Layla, I had to get a new computer, which cost me about $2,000. I don't know what that mixer would cost, but I'm guessing it isn't $2,800.

Later,
-Brian

Back