Gigs

mrface2112 said:
this is just fate telling you that you need several rides! :p seriously, my main ride is a 20in K Custom, but there are definitely times where i want a 22in ping ride.

i suppose it's like snare drums, or guitars.....you want the sound that the production calls for, so you need to have an arsenal of tones in your bag.

cheers,
wade

I have to agree. There are many times when I feel my Dry Heavy Ride is too overpowering and I want a Dark Energy Mark I Ride... but those things are so expensive! And about the snares... I have 2, and Imperialstar steel snare for when I want a sound that is al snares and no overtone, and a bronze black panther for when I want to hear the ring.

Brad C,

What do you mean? Do you use cartage? Do you contract with a band that provides the drums? Do you have drums techs?

Whatever the case, you are in a more enviable position than most!

mrface2112 said:
this is just fate telling you that you need several rides! :p seriously, my main ride is a 20in K Custom, but there are definitely times where i want a 22in ping ride.

i suppose it's like snare drums, or guitars.....you want the sound that the production calls for, so you need to have an arsenal of tones in your bag.

cheers,
wade

thanks!!! yeah, it probably is a good idea to have a few rides for different styles of music...something clean and zingy for one style, something with a great bell on something...and so on!?!?!? just need cash!!

Hey I'm no drummer but reading this thread made me think of the Stray Cats...In the 80's videos the drummer is playing while standing up and it looks like he has maybe a bass drum, a snare drum, and one cymbal (maybe two)...it looks like he could pick up the whole set and walk off with it...I don't know if that is the setup he used in the actual recording of the songs but the visual "minimalism" of it impressed me...of course it was an 80's band doing 50's music so that may have little application in this discussion.

I briefly worked with a three piece that was doing a Stray Cats/Eddie Cochran/etc thing - they wanted me to play standing up - and I did indeed use a kick, a snare and one crash/ride.

I actually enjoyed the minimal kit (since it forces you to groove without the "distraction" of lots of fills, etc.) Yes - the set up and tear down was very nice, but all the weight on one leg while playing the kick was not a naturally stance and I simply did not feel physically comfortable.

Depends on the band.

Sometimes my 6 piece ELX.

Other times (for special big gigs) my 5 piece Mapex Orion.

Either of the kits are mounted on my gib rack, and pearl hardware. Double Eliminators. Then sabian cymbals, usually 14" or 13" hats. 6 and 12" splash. 15" crash. 2x 16" crash. 21" ride. Then a china, ddepending on how i feel.

mawtangent said:
the drummer is playing while standing up and it looks like he has maybe a bass drum, a snare drum, and one cymbal (maybe two)

If you ever see Southern Culture on the Skids live, this is exactly what their drummer does as well. I've seen them a number of times, and given the energy their drummer puts into the show and his performance, i can't imagine how that guy does it like that night after night. of course, that style of playing and type of setup seems to be common in that kind of music.

cheers,
wade

Back