Gig setup for 3 pce outfit...

MiXit-G

Hi, at the moment were using a little P.A system as our rehersal amplification, 2x12"'s and horn in each bin, powered by a 100w valve head which sounds great mostly.
The only problem were having is when it gets loud i notice that some of things we input gets lost, but i'm wondering if its the amp being low wattage and small monitors.

What we are running is guitar/effects/effect vox (me) keyboard/drums/roving mic(paul) and turntable/keyboard/samples(mark) yes we make strange music.

Somtimes i pitch my samples really low and a guitar amp does'nt cut it but the P.A handles it well, in a way we are all unconventional in our music and need a system that can cater for that.

This brings me to my questions:

1. Will this be practical live?
i'm thinking we could set our speakers as monitors and spin the club monitors the other way for the guy at the desk to have his way with, in a small club the FOH needs all the help it can get yeah?

I figure that a mic on one of our monitors could serve as a line signal to FOH but im going to get a rack of DI's to split us so he can mix us individually as well.

(if you think its a crazy idea ignore the next questions)

2. Should i ditch our current system and buy active speakers?
or buy a powered mixer?(i already have i soundcraft console for recording but i dont want to take it gigging, so i would need to double up on a console for the active speakers).

3. Because we still have elements of rock about us what speaker configuration would be ideal, without losing the bottom end- single 15" or two 12"'s?

My budget is around 2k AUD but i work at yamaha and get stuff at %50 i've asked the guys at work and now im asking YOU, what do you think?

Thanks.

My basic rig is a Mackie mixer and a pair of Mackie active cabs - SRM450s. It's about 950 watts or so, and as clean as any live rig I've ever heard. Add a couple of subwoofers and you could clean house with a three piece band, strange or not.

I'm trying to figure out what you want.

"i'm thinking we could set our speakers as monitors and spin the club monitors the other way for the guy at the desk to have his way with, in a small club the FOH needs all the help it can get yeah?"

So you want to use the clubs monitors as center fills and yours at monitors?

Is the place really need center fills to help the main mix..?

Where do you plan to send everything? Is their a FOH with a engineer their mixing or are you on your own?

If it's just you mabybe you don't even need to mic the drums or the guitar amp and stuff like that. If it's a place where stuff need miked and has some room get one of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...DRCQEqTGU5vAmn7iKOb/befree_site_id=0040500104
JBL SF25 dual 2-way cabs x2 sidefills or add to the mains im guessing??

yamaha sm10v monitor wedges x2 (or just use your own)
QSC RMX 850 amp
RMX 2450 amp

I'm not sure if that 100w valve would run monitors...maybe use it for a guitar cab amp w/ your speakers or something.

OR

if you just want more thump go get the yamaha SW218V sub and bridge a QSC RMX 2450 amp and throw that in the center maybe or 2 SW118v on the for one on each side.

That might give you some ideas but I'm not sure what your trying to do really.

I might be WAY off here....I'm still not sure what you want.

It is hard to explain....

Basically were not your standard pub band, and we a getting a great sound from a little P.A.

To clarify a bit fldrummer,

"So you want to use the clubs monitors as center fills and yours at monitors?"

Yes because our monitors will effectivly act as our personal backline amps, yeah and use the clubs stage monitors as a center fill if we want.

"Is the place really need center fills to help the main mix..?"

Maybee maybee not.

"Where do you plan to send everything? Is their a FOH with a engineer their mixing or are you on your own?"

Yes we will have a engineer everthing will be split off stage to the FOH console.

I play some guitar but i also play samples and effects so a typical guitar amp doesnt sound as good as a P.A bin, and if we all run though it saves lugging and we will always have a good on stage mix.

Maybee no one has tried it.

Back