Gibson vs. Fender vs. Gibson

a_goodlett

ok listen up cats heres the deal: i'm gonna get a new guitar sometime in the near future. i cant decide against these 3 guitars: a '62 reissue Jaguar, a Gibson Les Paul (either a standard or the vintage reissue they have), and a Gibson SG. i've played Les Pauls, but i've never had any experience with a Jaguar or an SG. But i can try out some SG's. but has any one played a jaguar? i would appreciate your guys opinions on a jaguar. later jive turkeys.

Tough choices...

You ain't makin' this easy.

It's like choosing between prime rib, lobster, and squab
under glass.

I love Fender. God Almighty does too. Nothing sounds like one.
Especially a 'Jag with the Atomic Humbuckers. Or for that matter,
a Duo-Sonic. Shread away surfdude!

Gibson is another favorite of the Supreme One. The Les Paul
is a piece of history forever in the making- nothing sounds like
one or looks as elegant as one.

Gimme an Angus on the SG- Lyre Vibrola tailpiece on board.
Just listening to A-man sonically kicking the shit out is all you need- this one is the Devil in tonal form.

Why not all three? after all you only live once if you do it right.

Faithmonster

Hows your back?

If you've got a bad back then don't get the Paul; unless you play sitting down (then you'll have bad legs (LOL)).

I don't know; I have a dislike for any fender except telecasters but that does not mean that there not good.

I want an SG to complete my line up and have narrowly missed out on buying two on ebay (they went a little too high). Depending on your budget you could buy two if you buy a Gibson sg special instead of a standard. There is very little difference between the special and standard. Exposed pickups instead of concealed (pete townsend had specials mainly I believe), dot inlays instead of box and no head inlay. It's not like the difference between a les paul standard and a studio IMO. Cost wise, I can pick up a standard for about £800 and a special for £500. Worth a look I guess.

What music/style do you play?

No matter how great the jaguar or the SG can sound, they just look cheezy next to a Les Paul standard. I could pick the LP standard on beauty alone and still come away with the best sounding guitar.

If I'm not mistaken, the list price of the LP standard just increased three hundred dollars.

hixmix; I didn't know that about the price increase. Don't be fooled by it. It doesn't mean they are better or anything. I was talking to a guitar rep ages ago and he told me that Gibson guitars are so tempremental (sp). The price fluctuates from year to year and sometimes drastically.

All I can say is that Gibson have one of the worst quality controls in around, for guitars.

I sure hope the Sg's haven't gone up as well or I'll never own one.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................help...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................help.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I went to Sam Ash in June and the LP Standard was $1800.00(US). Last week the price was $2100.00! Some of the same guitars on the rack, too. Not even new stock!

Never buy a Les Paul from anyone unless they will match Guitar Trader.com's prices on it. My next one is definately coming from there, if it's new. Better yet, buy used save $$$. I hear Gibson's biggest competition is their own used guitar market.

H2H

Too much wine but still..waht waas the topic?

Go w/ the 3.

Gibson LP Standard

Fender Strat

Fender Tele

"Boy, you're gonna carry that wait"

Wow! Hard2hear, thanks for the lead to guitartrader.com. $1600.00 for the wine red LP standard, and free shipping for a limited time. Don't know if it includes case, though. But at that price, who cares. They're going for $1800.00, used, at guitar center. Not that I'm gonna run right out and buy one, but that's the best price I've seen for a new one.

When I'm ready to get a Standard, I would think I could pick up a used one in excellent condition, from a private party for around 11 or 12 hundred.

I just came across an old 1991 American Music Supply catalog in my studio. Sunburst Les Paul Standard-$1049.00! *slaps forehead* "Why didn't I buy one then??!!"

If you want to be safe get a les paul studio from mars for 550.00 us . They have a better tone than the lighter SG and the jaguar(which is kind of noisy for my taste).

Last year I picked up a new Les Paul Standard Plus with case for $1650....the Plus has an unbelievable flame top - honeyburst. It plays great too...I believe they discontinued the Plus Series in 98 or 99 but mine was new....I bought it online from Dave's Guitar Shop...I love it. His posted list price was around $1800 but he came down off of that.

..of course you did....

1650.00?? the sellers would like you to think that was a cheap price. the real price for a used les paul standard, with case, is actually 900.00.

Gibson artificially raises their list price. Whatever price they ask, cut it in half. At least. Don'

I'm a Fender guy for the most part. In fact, I just got a MIM tele this week, but I think you'd be sorry if you got the Jaguar. A friend of mine has a 62 reissue and it is probably the worst all-around guitar with a brand-name that I've ever played. Your results may vary.

I like Les Paul's, but I think SG's just have more personality.

WELL, this doesn't really help, but.....

i purchased a carvin.

in 1981.

and never looked back.

don't limit yourself to any trend, but if you've got the capitol, get em all !!

Hixmix,

Well, the seller didn't say it was a cheap price, and I didn't really say it was a cheap price either. Les Paul and cheap don't belong in the same sentence anyway...but it was the best the seller was willing to do, so it's kinda a mote point anyway. If most folks were willing to pay $6000 for a guitar like mine, I would have had to pay that, and I wouldn't.

The Les Paul I bought was not used, so the $900 doesn't really apply, but I know that they make a killing as you said....but hey, that's capitalism at its finest, right? ;)

I don't think anyone pays attention to Gibson's list price which as you said is a joke. I don't even know what list is on a Les Paul Standard Plus....

BTW, I think your post got cut short.....

robn-

Actually you got a pretty good deal. Sometimes, after a bottle of Merlot, or two, I just throw all judgement to the wind.

I'm just tryin' to work down the market for overpriced guitars.

I still don't have a Les Paul in my collection.

So, I'm a bit jealous too.

hxmx

A bottle or two? Man, I get goofy after just a glass!!! Come to think of it, I'm just kinda goofy anyway.

Yeah, I got an OK deal...I like it....actually I'm more of a Fender guy than a Gibson....I've got a Tele and a Strat. The Strat gets played the most out of all of them, but the buzz with the Marshall cranked up makes for an unrecordable sound, so I just ordered a set of Kinmans yesterday to take care of Mister 60 Hz. I've heard lots of good things about 'em so we'll see...

Good luck trying to work down the overpriced guitar market...been trying for years and I ain't budged it yet....

My brother bought a black beauty in its hard velvet-lined case (3 pickups,gold hardware) for $150 used in the late 60s.He also got a late 20s L5 for the same amount(if I knew then I would have looked for the Lloyd Loar signature behind the heel).
I had a E.S.125 in college jazz band from the late 30s.The conventional wisdom is that the move from Kalamazoo to Nashville kinda hurt QC for a few years.

Tom

Back