Gibson SG Standard

johnnyfever

Drummer and Pipedreamer
I am a drummer who has been playing guitar off and on for a few years now. I just broke down and got my first "real" guitar today: A brand new Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry finish. I love this guitar! Great action, nice neck, awesome sound! Anybody else enjoy playing these guitars????

I will be soon, actually I'm after special the green flip flop paint job. Do you know if thier still available? A Gordy Johnson model would be pretty cool too.

I would love one Johnny, maybe one day. However as you probably know I think Angus Young from AC/DC loves the SG!!! :rolleyes: :) :D

ENJOY!!!!

I got a 96 standard (signed by Angus Young) - but dont particularly care for her ...

sounds rather muddy, not very articulate - not much transparency either ... I was rather disappointed soundwise (well i took her as a trade in ...)

you might be happy with yours - unless you A-B it with a Gretsch BST 1500 ... the Gretsch does even a meaner AC/DC than the SG :eek:

but - one gotta like the looks of an SG ...

johnnyfever said:
I am a drummer who has been playing guitar off and on for a few years now. I just broke down and got my first "real" guitar today: A brand new Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry finish. I love this guitar! Great action, nice neck, awesome sound! Anybody else enjoy playing these guitars????

I've got that exact one, and I love it. And you gotta love the weight of it.

I undersand that the SGs have a very thin neck, bends easily and can throw tone off easily, it that the case with all, some or none?

Daav.

I played a late '70's SG Standard (that I bought new) for a few years until I sold it for a LP.

Great guitar, excellent tone, and always stayed in tune. Flattest and fastest action of any guitar I have owned.

Enjoy!

daav said:
I undersand that the SGs have a very thin neck, bends easily and can throw tone off easily, it that the case with all, some or none?
The neck on my SG "Classic" is so fat I can't comfortably play it.

The main thing in favor of basic SGs in 2005 is their relative simplicity and unornamented design. In that as a management decision, Gibson simply will not spend the production time required to properly finish detail a complicated guitar like a traditional Les Paul, you may be less annoyed with a low-finish version of a simpler instrument. There's less to do, so there's less to do badly. :(

SGs are typically neck-heavy and always have been, but if you can adapt to that, you may find the lighter weight a great boon. I was always a 335 guy in the old days, with an occasional good vintage Les Paul, but looked down on SGs. Now that I simply can't endure the weight of a Les Paul, SGs look somewhat more attractive.

johnnyfever said:
I just broke down and got my first "real" guitar today: A brand new Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry finish. I love this guitar!
Did you buy from a music store or over the net?

I have a black SG standard, and I don't think it has the heaviest sound, but it definitely suits classic rock well and is a joy to play.

I've got a 64' SG Standard and it's a great player as well as very good sounding!

Attachments

• SG body R.JPG
    SG body R.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 120
I've owned an 81' SG for several years (used to own a 68' and sold it for some dumb ass reason). SGs are and always have been my favorite - that classic "Gibson tone" with less weight than an LP.

However, SG necks are not thin - in fact the neck on the SG is fatter than any guitar I own with the possible exception of an Epiphone DOT and a nylon string "classical" accoustic.

Gibsons generally have a couple of different neck profiles. There's the '50's round profile (I like to dub this the "baseball bat" due to the enormous thickness of this neck) and there's the '60's slim taper profile which I find a lot easier to handle for myself. Different Gibson models will be available with one of these profiles, while some models could have either. What's available for the current models is documented on the Gibson website.

sl

snow lizard said:
Gibsons generally have a couple of different neck profiles. There's the '50's round profile (I like to dub this the "baseball bat" due to the enormous thickness of this neck) and there's the '60's slim taper profile which I find a lot easier to handle for myself. Different Gibson models will be available with one of these profiles, while some models could have either. What's available for the current models is documented on the Gibson website.

sl

I think it must have been that slim taper neck I was seeing. Local music store had an older (no idea what year) or reissue, and when i asked to look at it he pointed out how thin the neck was and showed that jsut putting pressure on the neck a bit would bend notes. I love the looks and tone of the SG, glad to see that they all don't do that.

Daav

Congrat's on the guitar. I have an SG in Alpine White, more of a smoky cream now. Careful with the guitar the headstock has a tendency to develop the "Gibson break" if you drop, bang, or otherwise abuse it. I've snapped the head off on mine twice, once onstage, once falling over in it's case.

hixmix said:
Did you buy from a music store or over the net?
I bought this guitar locally from Jackson Music, Grand Island, NY. Love this music store and the people that run it. Totally cool people who know their gear. Awesome prices too!!!!!

johnnyfever said:
No, I'm a lefty... :(

I got rid of my *very doggy* SG yday!!!! ... bling - bling ... $1,100.00

(a darn cool looking guitar, tho - it just played like cr@p) :D

Back