Gibson Pickups

I cant speak for the intonation of the guitars on Gibson's site, I am refering to my customer's R9 and my own LPs.

VP

You posted pics from the Gibson site for us to "look closely" at when you were trying to show us how clueless you are. :)

You posted pics from the Gibson site for us to "look closely" at when you were trying to show us how clueless you are. :)

Regardless of the actual accuracy of those guitars intonation. You can clearly see the difference in pickup to bridge/saddle distance.

Here look again:

Lets try this again, if this doesnt work I invite you to go to Gibsons site and compare for yourselves. The pictures arent working because the files are too big for the standard. Here you go, compare.

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS

VP

PS: If you have Windows 7 you can have both minimized and toggle them back and forth. I can do it so they are superimposed on each other and you can actually see the bridge moving, kind of like a "Blink Comparator"

VP

I just did further analysis on the ABR-1 and Nashville bridges. The Nashville is 9/16" wide and the ABR-1 is 7/16" wide. This accounts for a difference of 1/16" from center, So yes the Nashville would be 1/16" closer to the pickup all things being equal. But the actual distance between the saddle to pickup measured was almost a 1/4" difference.

VP

Last edited:
I just did further analysis on the ABR-1 and Nashville bridges. The Nashville is 9/16" wide and the ABR-1 is 7/16" wide. This accounts for a difference of 1/16" from center, So yes the Nashville would be 1/16" closer to the pickup all things being equal. But the actual distance between the saddle to pickup measured was almost a 1/4".

VP

Wtf are you saying now? which saddles?

Are you saying two different guitars with different bridges will have the saddles in the exact same spot when intonated?

Wtf are you saying now? which saddles?

Are you saying two different guitars with different bridges will have the saddles in the exact same spot when intonated?

I did not say that in that quote, why do you misrepresent my comments? But as I think about your "Allegation". I will say this. 2 guitars with the same scale length, same frets, same strings of same age, same neck relief, same string height, same breakover angles at nut and saddle, same tuning and temperature would have the same string lengths to their properly intonated saddles.

VP

I did not say that in that quote, why do you misrepresent my comments? But as I think about your "Allegation". I will say this. 2 guitars with the same scale length, same frets, same strings of same age, same neck relief, same string height, same breakover angles at nut and saddle, same tuning and temperature would have the same string lengths to their properly intonated saddles.

VP

:laughings::laughings::laughings:

But the actual distance between the saddle to pickup measured was almost a 1/4" difference.
That's the way R9s are but they don't do it deliberately, right?

That may be the way that R9 is. That's about all that can be said on that subject. Of course it could be that the bridge pup on the Standard is the one that's not standard. I wonder if they do that deliberately.

That's the way R9s are but they don't do it deliberately, right?

That may be the way that R9 is. That's about all that can be said on that subject. Of course it could be that the bridge pup on the Standard is the one that's not standard. I wonder if they do that deliberately.

You would have to ask Gibson if they have different pickup spacings deliberately or not. Of all my 5 6 string Gibsons, only my ES-335 has the furthest spacing similiar to the R9,

VP

You would have to ask Gibson if they have different pickup spacings deliberately or not. Of all my 5 6 string Gibsons, only my ES-335 has the furthest spacing similiar to the R9,

VP

I think the space between your ears is the problem. :)

Back