gibson or epiphone??

sipi1910

i currently have a epiphone les paul custom but i am wanting to move up to a gibson.is there a big difference in say the epiphone custom and the gibson standard as far as sound?

thanks,
wayne

do yourself a favour and save yourself a bundle buy an epiphone solid body from epiphones years in the 60,s when Gibson made them anything after 1969 forget about it it just aint the same deal best value for money in my opionion from all the 60,s picks would be an Epiphone wilshire as crestwoods and crestwood deluxe models are way to scarce to find unless your lucky to find a good one

here take a look a lot cheaper and better then a new Gxxxxn in my opionion

http://guitarhq.com/guitpics/64crestw.jpg

http://guitarhq.com/guitpics/64wilshi.jpg

http://www.collectguitars.com/Gear/Danoman/epicrestwood.jpg

They will definately sound different. The gibson has different neck specs and pickups. You need to decide if that sound is worth the money for you. It is worth the money for a lot of people. I have an Epiphone Les Paul, and I really like it. I have played Gibsons, and I still like my Epiphone. YMMV.

Matty

the reason i ask is that i finally have about $1600 to spend and i want a quality guitar that will last a very long time with a reputation for its sound.and i just don't think you can get that with the epiphone.thanks for everyone's responses.anyone else?

thanks,
wayne

sipi im going to leave you a url of a guitar maker in france this guy is wonderfull to deal with for less money then you are talking of spending he will make you a dream guitar take a look at his site email him as well see what he says

I deal with this guy myself and can only tell you from my experiences he is a gentleman to deal with you will be pleased if you venture out to his end of the woods

http://www.daguetguitars.com/index.htm

Be sure to play those Gibson before you buy. I was shocked at GC a few weeks ago... I tried out several Gibson LP and SGs. They all had rough edges on the frets! I did like the LP studio I played though - but I ended up trying a Hamer Explorer and bought that instead.

It really pays to play before you pay I say.

I would like to think that the Gibson archtops have better detailing that the LP and SG. But I didn't play those.

I picked up a LP Studio at GC awhile back and I love it. It was setup fine and no problems with anything. Well except the bridge is catching but a file and graphite should take care of that.

thanks trebles,ill check him out.if i order the lp,ill be getting it from musician's friend so i have 45 days to return it or trade it in if i dont like it or it has any flaws.this may sound like a dumb question but what is the "tune-o-matic" bridge?i see it advertised on the studio lp Tex,but not on the standard.

wayne

sipi1910 said:
what is the "tune-o-matic" bridge?

Here ya go.

stdTom2.jpg

hey sipi, I bought my les paul from musicians friend and I've got nothing but good things to say about the whole experience. It came to my house still in the original factory box, never been opened, no grimey strings where a million GC riff rats have had their greasy hands all over it. It came straight from the guy that did the setup on it at the factory to me like a beautiful virgin just waiting till she found the right musician to give herself to. (Ain't that sweet) I do recomend you spend the extra $40 bucks and get it delivered next day air. The less time your beauty spends being mistreated by shipping guys the better off you'll be. Hell musicians friend even dropped the price $200 a week after I bought it so I called and told them I had just paid $200 more for that guitar a week before and they gave me a full $200 credit back on my credit card with no argument at all. I have had nothing but good luck using musicians friend.

sipi1910, if you're gonna do a mail order thing, please please check out A Plus first before you commit to MF.........I've had only good experiences with them, and they have a great return policy as well......and they are way cheaper than MF.....go to the site, ignore the prices listed, email them (click on "more information" for whichever guitar you wanna know about)....they will email you back pretty promptly, within a day if it's after hours.....the prices they email you back are awesomely inexpensive compared to list..........

There's classics, and regular 2001 new standards (the wine red is particularly nice, as well as 2002 standards, which do indeed cost a bit more because of the flame tops....but check them out...I think the new 2002 standards with flame are abut 1600 from them....I doubt if MF is selling 2002's for that price....but the untouched 2001s are very very good........gibs

http://www.aplusguitars.com/Gibson_Guitars.htm

Hey Sipi,

If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd be looking at Heritage guitars:

www.heritageguitar.com

They don't say Gibson on 'em, but they are made by ex-Gibson luthiers that didn't want to move when Gibson closed down their Michigan factory.

It seems that alot of people that have played both think the build quality is better on the Heritages, plus they are cheaper.

If you have $1600 to spend, I would probably buy anything but a Gibson. I truly feel that, like Martin, they are a has-been company. I know many will disagree w/ me, but I remain convinced.
If you are looking for an LP type guitar, look into Heritage or PRS. I would buy either of those over a Gibson any day. Gibson's craftsmanship and QC went out the window years ago.

Just one guy's opinion.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I've had an Epiphone Sheraton II semi hollow for about 17 years and it is one of the best built guitars I have ever owned. The craftsmanship is remarkable and I paid about $250.00 for it new back then. I've been looking at other guitars in MF and I had the same question as to whether or not Epiphone was still made with to my guitar's standards or are they like Fender's cheaper Mex-made guitars where the tuning pegs strip off because there made of crappy chrome-plated nylon.

You know, guitars are like fingerprints. They're made of wood, occasionally by humans, and even some of the cheapest can occasionally be good axes. No kidding, I upgraded from an Epiphone SG Special to an SG Supreme, and I still use both axes. Here's a plan- Buy the LP, change out the pickups for some cutting edge stuff, and drop the Classic 57 humbuckers from the LP into the Epiphone. That way, I got Duncans with taps, and the Epiphone became the expendable travel axe which is also good for playing w/ distortion. And I forget who mentioned the sharp frets, but I know what you mean!!! The higher end late model Gibsons have real squared-off frets which produce great sustain and tone, but it took me a couple of months to learn to play the Supreme without cutting up my hands (talk about shredders...)-Richie

Check out the Gibson Custom Art Historic models....there really is a difference between them and the regular USA line and you can get a 57 Goldtop for around 2 grand new and cheaper used. I love mine! Tone to da bone and I also love A-Plus guitars as they treated me right.

Back