Gibson LP Tunematic Placement

Ed Dixon

A friend took a Gibson Les Paul into a local shop for setup. When it came back the tunematic bridge appears to be odd placed.

The tunematic has 6 screws used to adjust intonation. They are pointing towards the neck, which would make any adjustment difficult.

Each of the 6 saddles has a shape that is flat on one side and slopped down on the other side. The slopped side is facing the neck.

The pictures I have of LP models show the opposite placement. Which is correct?

Ed

Did he notice this or you? Could it have been set up that way to start with, and has he questioned the guy who set it up for him?

All the pics I have looked at, are as you say too.

It all depends on the intonation. I have a guitar with the same type of saddle and I changed a couple of them round too. The intonation is fine, that's why I turned them round, to get to the desired point.

The saddles can go whichever way is better for intonation, but the screws should be on the tailpiece side of the bridge. Sounds like a screw-up, or laziness to me.

Yeah like Clive says

If you can not set the intonation properly you may be forced to turn it backwards.

Say the low E is sharp at the octave "12th fret" and you need to move it back but you run out of space flipping it backwards would give you the clearance make a proper adjustment.

Sounds like a sloppy setup. The saddles can go either way to get the correct intonation, but the screws should be facing the other way.

Makes you wonder about the quality of the overall setup.

I've turned bridges on a few guitars as the string angle on the backside allowed the strings to touch the screws.

The intonation screws can face either direction. I much prefer having them face towards the neck, as I find it MUCH easier to set the intonation that way. As for the saddles, they go which ever way is needed to set the intonation right. Usually, my G strings and my B strings flat face is towards the tailpiece, with the rest of them facing the neck. But it is really just a matter of preference.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral"
M.K. Gandhi

Back