Gibson Explorer E/2 (Explorer 2)

AdrianFly

I've been trying to find some information on this particular model guitar (Gibson Explorer E/2) on the Net but can't find anything. This was a particular model Explorer made in the late 70's to 1980 but then without warning was apparently "pulled" from the market in the middle of the night without warning. No further E/2's have been produced since then from what I can gather there isn't any historical information on these except for from what I've heard through word of mouth from people who remember when Gibson were making them.

Some say that the E/2's were so expensive to produce that Gibson wasn't making a enough of a profit. Others say that they were just "too damn awesome dude" and Gibson decided to halt production and continue to make the bland, boring Explorers that we saw in the previous years and see again today. (.. as overpriced reissues of the bland '76 model)

The E/2's were rumored to have a much smoother bodystyle, carved away to fit snug against the chest. High end gold hardware... and tone that was unbeatable.

Unfortunately, I can't find them anywhere for sale and the last one I found was a 1980 on Ebay (pristine/mint) condition that was sold for $4200.

Although, I'm more of a Fender guy myself.. I'm still trying to find a recource on these E2 models to learn what the real story was behind them. A mystery!

The problem was that the stupid things didn't sell. They were overpriced, (more than a Les Paul standard) and were associated with the V2. The explorer was good but the V2 was terrible. The V2 was stupid looking and had pickups shaped like a V, so you couldn't replace them with something that sounded good.
In the early 80's Gibson kept playing around with those 2 guitars. There was a version of both that had binding around the body and a more Jackson shaped headstock.

This model never sold very well and mostly looked kinda goofy -- not as sleek or angular looking as the original -- i played a couple when they first came out -- about as heavy as the original -- this was the time when van halen came out and everything was going crazy over the strat w/humbucker -- this is around the time gibson started making the explorer with one humbucker and wammy bar -- striped/angular paint jobs -- the guitar world was changing and gibson didn't have a way to change with it -- you can also see an epi. strat body with reverse explorer head -- I've seen a few e2's on ebay -- allegedly good condition $700-$800 --but u never know on e-bay -- TRUST ME ON THAT!! -- anyway from an old time explorer freak if u do find one enjoy it! explorer is the greatest guitar ever made!! drr

E2 explorer

Yeah this may be a late reply, but Yeah the E2 explorers started in 1979. The classic multi-layered timber issue ran into 1980. There apparently was an option of the reverse timber layers too. The second E2s were back to the standard bound bodies and sunburst type finishes. I believe the last of the E2's may have even been metallic paint jobs.

I bought an E2 New in 1981. It was a 1980 manufacture guitar with the multi layered timbers. I paid AUD$1250 (retail AUD$1695) for it and really have not played a guitar since that comes close to it. 27 years later it is still my main weapon of choice. :)

Check out youtube mindroom666 for a few clips. And to give you an idea of the use I have got from this guitar, the white mark on the scratchplate is actually where I have worn thru the black layer of plastic.

Craig.

I'm pretty sure they did. I really can't remember, but almost everything gibson made at the time did.

There should be a serial number on the headstock.

The pickups, tuners, and nut are not stock. The pickups could be duncan distortions from the early to mid 80's placed under the stock covers.

The brass nut was something people did in the 80's because it was thought to increase sustain.

The grover tuners were a common upgrade from the stock tuners.

I would have to put this thing from the looks of it somewhere in the early to mid 80's. Without the serial number, it's impossible to pinpoint.

There should be a serial number on the headstock.

The pickups, tuners, and nut are not stock. The pickups could be duncan distortions from the early to mid 80's placed under the stock covers.

The brass nut was something people did in the 80's because it was thought to increase sustain.

The grover tuners were a common upgrade from the stock tuners.

I would have to put this thing from the looks of it somewhere in the early to mid 80's. Without the serial number, it's impossible to pinpoint.

Cool, thanks for the info. Would the serial number be etched into the wood somehow? or were they just stickers or prints in the paint?

Cool, thanks for the info. Would the serial number be etched into the wood somehow? or were they just stickers or prints in the paint?
The serial number is stamped into the headstock. Right under the D and A string tuner.

The serial number is stamped into the headstock. Right under the D and A string tuner.

Stamped into the paint or the wood? Looks like this has been repainted so I don't know if there would be an impression made in the the wood or not.

Through the paint and into the wood.

The guy that painted it might have sanded it off. (could have been stolen)

The first two numbers of the serial would be the year that it was made.

It would have also said "made in USA" under it.

look on ebay, there are always a bunch of explorers from that era. People put up pictures of the serial numbers.

Back