GFS Humbuckers

Fletch-X

I just bought a an inexpensive guitar off Craig's list. Overall I like it but I want to change the pu's. GFS seems like an affordable option. Can anyone recommend one of their humbuckers? I'm looking for something with a classic Gibsonish rock sound.

I put two different humbuckers of theirs in my squier. I put a highoutput crunchy pat in the bridge at 16k I believe, it is loud and has the bright treble response you'd expect and I bought a 10k hot rail for the neck, which has a lovely fat tone, they sound kinda similar to me except for the obvious mellower tone of the hotrail. I like them. they seem well made and come with all the mounting springs and rings you need.

there are a lot of excellent GF humbuckers
the Mean 90 , vintage II, the Vintage extra hots, the power rails the crunchy rails are all good pickups I have used them all.

the mean 90's and vintage II are great for classic blues and rock tones for stuff like ZZ Top, the vintage extra hots are good for classic hard rock like Rush, AC DC, Sabbath

the power rails and crunchy rails are good for stuff like Alter Bridge Creed Metallica and other types of metal and hardcore genres.

but that is not to say that you have to use a certain style pickup for a certain genre of music

Just read the description page, Dave does a very good job of describing the tone characteristics of each his pickups. and down at the bottom of the page will indicate whether it is a neck position or bridge position pickup.

I have used just about every pickup GF sells and I can honestly say that I have not had one single complaint about any thing I have installed.

I am primarily a bass player and I love both the matched jazz pickups that are exact replacements for MIA Fender jazz bass guitars and the Music man Pro and Pro plus are both Awesome!

Power Rails might be a bit hot for what you're looking for, but I dropped one into an older Yamaha Pacifica and it became an entirely new guitar. It's fantastic. I use it mostly for detuned, hi-gain playing and I love it.

I can't think of another time I put $30 into an instrument and made it so much better.

there are a lot of excellent GF humbuckers
the Mean 90 , vintage II, the Vintage extra hots, the power rails the crunchy rails are all good pickups I have used them all.

the mean 90's and vintage II are great for classic blues and rock tones for stuff like ZZ Top, the vintage extra hots are good for classic hard rock like Rush, AC DC, Sabbath

the power rails and crunchy rails are good for stuff like Alter Bridge Creed Metallica and other types of metal and hardcore genres.

but that is not to say that you have to use a certain style pickup for a certain genre of music

Just read the description page, Dave does a very good job of describing the tone characteristics of each his pickups. and down at the bottom of the page will indicate whether it is a neck position or bridge position pickup.

I have used just about every pickup GF sells and I can honestly say that I have not had one single complaint about any thing I have installed.

I am primarily a bass player and I love both the matched jazz pickups that are exact replacements for MIA Fender jazz bass guitars and the Music man Pro and Pro plus are both Awesome!

Thanks Roguetitan, that's the info I'm looking for. From the descriptions I was actually leaning towards one of the 90's Mean or Dream. The 180's look interesting as do the Bigmouths. I guess I'm gonna role the dice with one of the 4.
Here's the test subject BTW.
3478975228_9693dee6b6_o.jpg

It actually looks nicer in person. Plays perfectly for me. Of course I'm a bass player 1rst so hey what do I know. :)

I put a couple of the Dream 180's in a semi-hollow thing I built last year. It's the one that comes stock in their hollowed-out strat-shaped guitars. Though I'll confess to buying them because they were pretty, I've been very happy with the variety of sounds I'm getting from them. I'm particularly fond of the clean tones I get with the neck pickup running only one coil. For reference against the others, I think the DC resistance came in around 12K for both of mine. I don't know what kind of magnet is in there.

Oh, and if nobody has mentioned it and you're unaware of the difference, note that the Dream 90 and Mean 90 are not humbuckers, they're humbucker-shaped P-90's, which are big fat single-coils with a different magnet structure than the typical Fender variety. I bet they sound great, but you could get some hum issues with these.

I put a couple of the Dream 180's in a semi-hollow thing I built last year. It's the one that comes stock in their hollowed-out strat-shaped guitars. Though I'll confess to buying them because they were pretty, I've been very happy with the variety of sounds I'm getting from them. I'm particularly fond of the clean tones I get with the neck pickup running only one coil. For reference against the others, I think the DC resistance came in around 12K for both of mine. I don't know what kind of magnet is in there.

Oh, and if nobody has mentioned it and you're unaware of the difference, note that the Dream 90 and Mean 90 are not humbuckers, they're humbucker-shaped P-90's, which are big fat single-coils with a different magnet structure than the typical Fender variety. I bet they sound great, but you could get some hum issues with these.

Yeah I figured out that the 90's were single coils. I ended up going with the Dream 180's in Gold Pearl basically because I wanted to avoid any hum issues. I hope they sound as described. They sure are pretty though.

Back