Getting Vocals to sound Wide/Front in the mix

spence52490

Hello everyone, I am a a student studying to be an audio engineer and I currently have my own home studio. My signal chain is a AKG 220>M-Audio DMP3>M-Audio Fast track USB and I use Cake Walk MA-15D monitors for referencing. I have have been mixing for a few years but I have gotten seriously into in the past year. Right now I'm having a problem getting my vocals to sound wide in the stereo field and up front in my face. They sound very thin and plain. Here's a visual of what I'm talking about.

Industry mixes stereo field for vocals is like this

V = Vocals

Left [VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV]Right

Mine are like this

Left [--------VV---------]

See what I mean, heres an audio example also.

http://usershare.net/ez3rupycx4hk

I've gotten a few tips that said try doubling the vocals and panning them, I haven't tried that yet though I usually just use one vocal track so maybe that will help.. If anyone knows any good Waves stereo expander plugs please tell me because I have waves thank you.

If anyone knows any good Waves stereo expander plugs please tell me because I have waves thank you.

That's weird. You have Waves but you don't know what plug-ins it has??? How much is Waves going for these days anyway???

well heres the kicker. I use adobe audition to mix so I use all of its stock plugins because I feel more comfortable using them. I haven't tried any of the waves plugins yet so I though I'd give them a try next session.

well heres the kicker. I use adobe audition to mix so I use all of its stock plugins because I feel more comfortable using them. I haven't tried any of the waves plugins yet so I though I'd give them a try next session.

So, how much did you pay for a slew of plugs you don't use???

First of all, could you post the title of a professional song with the vocal sound you describe? Most vocals in my CD collection sound tightly focused in one area.

Ways to get vocals "in your face":
*record everything else in such a manner that they just plain stay out of the vocal's way.
*Record a singer who is actually large and in your face.
*Instruct the singer on how to "work a mic". Be the correct distance at the correct angle for the correct mood and the correct volume etc. The singer's positioning might change line-to-line if needed.
*Get your compression settings correct on the vocal track.
*At mix time, you might need to ride the fader. Compress to where it sounds good. If parts of the vocal still fall too low and rise too high, don't compress further. Keep your finger on the fader and ride it up and down as needed.
*Don't be afraid to change compressor settings between verse and chorus (or anywhere else).
*Watch out for effects. Dry signals get in your face. Verbs and delays are "out there".

As for making vocals wide, without hearing what you mean I can only guess.
*Double-tracked vocals panned wide. Needs to be done with insane-o precision. Much as I hate to tell anybody to do this, you might even need to nudge the timing of the double in your DAW. This would be my first guess as to what you are hearing, but without hearing this guess really has zero reliability.
*Wide stereo reverb with a long pre-delay. Keep the pre-delay long enough and you might not push the vocals into outer space.
*Stereo room mics in addition to the primary vocal mic when singing. You need a damn good room before even trying. Just like the reverb, too much room mic in the mix will not give you "in your face" vocals. Maybe compress heavily and roll off lows and lower mids.

Chibi Nappa has some very good tips.

Here's some of my thoughts on the matter:

* You need to record vocals with less room-sound in them, as the room sound will hinder the sound you're after.
Try sE Reflexion filter, or Real Trap Vocal boot when recording

* Use more reverb, use several.
Use one plate (like a EMT140 short) in addition to a convolution of a large real room (must be convolution to be 'invisible' and not sound like 'added reverb'.

Don't think of using reverbs as 'adding reverb' at all, think of it as changing and 'designing' the sound.

* Send to aux with Waves doubler, and adjust to taste, just a hint will take you there.
Send the Waves doubler aux also to a plate reverb.

This should do it, I think.

Njal Frode

Back