Getting the proper signal

dvs recordings

I just recorded a friend of mine and I was having to place her vocals on different tracks due to the fact that her signal during the lower passages was drastically different than when she sung the chorus. This way I could keep the gain signal under control. Is there others ways to combat this problem. I just find that when I pasted the tracks back together, the chorus track sounded very "punchy" and a little unnatural eventhough the signal at recording never went above 0db. As well do you get all the tracks back together before any EQ is added to the vocals? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

DVS,
Maybe your singer has a powerful voice when she gets to the high energy parts of the song. A proper vocal technique would be for her to back off the mic while she is singing louder. Or she might be stepping into the mic to sing the higher energy parts, maybe try a popper stoper to keep her a safe distance from the mic. Thats where I'd start.

I would think that changing the levels on the mic from verse to chorus would sound just like that on playback.

Back