Getting the best out of Apogee Jam, USB Mic and Garageband

Rufio90210

Hi,

I am new to the world of recording and learning about all the gear. I want to know if there is anything I can do to make my guitar sound fuller/louder and with more life running through apogee jam into garageband. It can sound a little tinny to me it just feels like it needs a boost. I know that the JAM is a preamp, but If i hooked it up with another preamp or some kind of DI box would it give me this boost I desire? I have a USB mic, the Samson C03U can anything be done with this to give it that boost and life?

Generally garageband can feel a little quiet and flat even when I get into mastering so any advice on that would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Where are you placing the mic relatve to your guitar (and is it acoustic or electric, I presume acoustic)?

What are you listening with? Headphones/laptop speakers/other?

Your mic and the JAM probably won't work together as they will need separate audio drivers, but I'm no expert on the mac side of things so don't take my word on that.

Hi, I use headphone and laptop speakers. I am just recording the guitars through the JAM and I know I can't put the mic through it I wanted to know if there is anything I could run a USB mic through.

You can only plug the USB mic directly into your computer - that's one of the main drawbacks to using a USB mic. Your playback system (ie headphones and computer speakers) could have a lot to do with how you perceive the playback sound of your recordings.

Your USB mic should give you better results than the JAM, on acoustic guitar at least.

As for things sounding thin or otherwise, listening on laptop speakers will do that - if you want to get into recording your guitar look into decent over-ear headphones and/or studio monitors as well as microphones. There are lots of threads on this forum about recording guitars and headphones/monitoring, have a look around :-)

Back