Getting the audio on a DVD to a wav file on my PC?

dabluesman

I have a Delta 66/Omni soundcard and Cool Edit Pro 2 software and I just picked up a DVD drive for my PC. I want to get the audio from a "live in concert" DVD to my computer so I can burn it to a regular 16bit 44.1 music CD for playing in my car stereo system. What's the best way to do this? Thanks!

http://dabluesman.com

I'm sure there is, though I don't know what specifically does it. Should be similar to CD ripping though. There are utilities out there that allow you to copy or rip DVDs. In that utility there should be a function to save the audio out as WAV I would think. This has me curious, I'm gonna do a little digging and I'll let you know if I find something :)

Thanks for the help! Oh by the way, here is a sample of the DVD I'm wanting to rip. This guy's name is Joe Bonamassa, he's a guitar prodigy... could play SRV note for note at 6 years old. Now he's 24 and is the most amazing guitar player I've ever heard. He's touring with B.B. King's Bluesfest (I saw him a few weeks ago.) Check out this mp3, and then order his new CD and get the DVD with it for free. I haven't been this blown away by anyone since I saw SRV's Live at El Macambo.

I tried AC3Dec and it worked but the wav file it created sounded like crap & I'm needing CD stereo quality. There has got to be an easier way to do this... What if I plugged a mini plug in the headphone jack on the DVD drive and ran a cable from it that splits out to two 1/4 mono jacks and plugged them into the Omni box? Could I then use Cool Edit Pro to record the signal on those inputs? Or I could change my playback device in windows to the Delta's 1/2 outputs, and run cables from the 1/2 outputs to the 1/2 inputs, right? Whenever I try something like this, I get a very weak signal and Cool Edit tells me something about changing a setting because the source isnt compatible with the sound card or something. Anyone have any ideas?

I still cant get it to work.. I tried using the recorder in musicmatch's jukebox and I ended up with 8 MB worth of silence (thats what Cool Edit Pro said at 44.1 - 16 bit.) Any other ideas?

Have you tried just an audio line out of your DVD player hooked up to you machine recording it like it was your instrument? Would turn out to be a huge file, but your going to end up with a huge file no matter how you capture it. Just a thought :)

Otherwise I have a friend who's really into ripping his own DVDs, I'll drop the question on him and repost if he gives me an good answer :D

so sorry!

hey man sorry the ac3 program didn't work for you..i've never actually tried it, I just read about it on dvd ripping websites..yeah the easiest way would be to just record it from your computer into cooledit. What os are you running? You may want to go to the audio properties by double clicking on the speaker in your system tray. When the window with the levels pop up go to Opions/properties. Then select the bullet next to "recording". In the box below that there should be a list of different audio sources..make sure the one that is playing your dvd audio is checked (i'm really not sure what it would be called!. Then Hit OK. Now instead of your playback levels you will have your recording levels. You have to select whatever source the dvd audio is coming from so that when you hit record in CoolEdit it will record from there. For instance..if you were playing a cd in cooledit but you hade .wav selected in the recording menu then you would still just get silence untill you went to the recording properties and selected "cd". unfortunately with the sound cards i've used you can only select one at a time. If you are unsure which one is the source if you have a sound blaster live there is even a "What U Hear" box you can check. Or one last option would be to hook your cd audio cable into the dvd drive if it is not already connected. Then go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Multimedia and change the Audio cd drive to the dvd drive letter. Then go into your recording properties and select CD Audio and this should work. I know thats alot to take in at once! Hope something I said helps!

dlv

Back