Getting that "mastered" sound

SpeedKing9

Hey all. I just recorded all the tracks for my band's first song, and it's at the stage where the sound quality isn't all that bad, but it doesn't have that "mastered" sound. What do I have to do to achieve this? I'm still learning all about home recording, so any tips would be great! I'm using Cakewalk.

SpeedKing9 said:
Hey all. I just recorded all the tracks for my band's first song, and it's at the stage where the sound quality isn't all that bad, but it doesn't have that "mastered" sound. What do I have to do to achieve this? I'm still learning all about home recording, so any tips would be great! I'm using Cakewalk.
The easiest thing to do is to send your tracks to a mastering studio...

Other things: Compression, iZotope Ozone, BBE Maximizer....

Gotta go!

Watch out cross-posting. It tends to be frowned upon around here. I answered your post over in the Mixing/Mastering Forum.

DD

If you want your song to sound like it's been mastered, the best thing to do is --- get it mastered. :eek:

By a pro.

Nothing else will do. If you insist on trying it yourself, get Ozone. It's a great plug-in. But remember: it's not the wand... it's the witch. Mastering is a specialty. Who would you rather have operate on your brain... your family doctor, or someone that specializes? See my point?

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

amt7565 said:
For Mastering do you simply take you mixed tracks in wave format?
You should speak to the mastering house you select and ask them what formats they can work with. Most can accept .wav's, as well as standard CD format, DAT, and even......1/4" reel to reel :eek:

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Mastering

Well for starters rid of all noises you do not wish to be there and i do mean all..Then you get the trax to sound the way you want them too,by way of eg,compression...Then after mixdown,you compress again if you'd like,I do..Then of cousre some final EQ,and then a mastering limiter os some sort like i use the Wave ultramaximizer+ or the DB mastering limiter..Hope this helps

Record as dry as possible, I learned'eded my lesson trying to record with reverbs or delays on the tracks. Add environment after tracking, you can add all the reverb you need but you can't take it away after the fact. Multi-band compressors can do wonders also, it takes some practice to get it right, even sending a mix to a mastering studio requires good clean tracking. The Utrafunk Multiband is very good. ( www.ultrafunk.com ) for leveling the bass or other problem ranges in a mix.

DRY DRY DRY
Torp

Back