getting that even sound between vocals and guitars

natmj

After recording for about two years, I think the hardest thing is to mix a high-register guitar solo that follows low-register vocals. Or any high-to-low or low-to-high register switch.

If you try to mix it evenly by keeping the volume at the same level, the low-register part is going to sound much quieter. But my worst fear recording is that I'll pull the vocals up too much higher than the guitar solo, and then the solo will sound weak compared to the vocals.

Is there any good way to do this or do you just get a feel for it after five years of recording?

I spent a lot of time on two songs in particular trying to get this right. I screwed up on one but did the other right. And I'm not sure why.

Thanks.

Did you try some compression on the vocal parts that seem too low in the mix? You wouldn't necessarily have to run the entire vocal track thru the compressor - mult the vocal track off to a compressor and return it into another mixer channel, giving you a blend (to taste!) of the uncompressed and compressed signal, keep the compressed channel muted until you need it, and unmute it as necessary to draw out the low-register parts...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

I don't think it's a compression issue.

I think it is more of an arrangment problem. If it doesn't flow going from the low to high or high to low, then you should try to rethink the arrangment.

You can try to start the solo at the same register as the voice and play it up
(or down).
Can you post an mp3 sample of the section that is giving you the problem and email me when you do so?.

I've got the song on the web already at mp3.com/natjordan. It's called "And You Feel Fine." I don't really have the tools with me right now to cut the song up to send the guitar/vocals part only. It's a long song and there is a guitar solo about 3 minutes into it. That's the one I'm talking about.

If you don't have the time to get the whole song, Shailat, I understand... but if you do, I'd love to hear your advice.

On another interesting note, I've noticed that this problem can arise from listening to music on small inexpensive speakers, even when the mix is perfect on good speakers.

Nat

I just got back from a vacation so I'll take a look at the song only... I have a slowwwwww modem. If it's to big I'll have to forget it.

As for the cheap speakers it again could be an arrangment issue. not hearing the full lower end or supportthat it gives, can make it stand out even more.

I finaly gave the song a listen but due to my modem I heard it low-fi So I can't give to much info.

But the problem seems to me the sound of the solo guitar contrasted against the acoustic solor and transparent arrangment of the rest of the song. It's very abtrusive and no matter how you mix it in it will stick out.
It sounds on the low fi a bit loud but again it's low fi ....

Back