Getting that 60's muted Bass sound?

glenn taylor

Hi there this my 1st post. I have a client I am playing a bass track on. I am trying to get that cool 60's muted sound. It was used on country records and it was on the "wild Wild west" Tv show theme song. I don't know if it is just muting with right hand or using a foam pad on my bass. Any ideas?
GT.

hmmm, not sure about those specifically, but I know in general a 60's bass sound is achieved using flatwound strings and strong mids.

Some basses in the 60's and 70's used a mute under the bridge cover, I think my 1975 Presision came with a piece of foam rubber between the strings and the bridge cover. I took the bridge cover off almost the 1st day.

I did use a foam mute under the strings (between the strings and body) and pushed up against the bridge when I played in the 70's to get that sound.

Would not dream of it now though.

Cheers

Alan.

Some basses in the 60's and 70's used a mute under the bridge cover, I think my 1975 Presision came with a piece of foam rubber between the strings and the bridge cover. I took the bridge cover off almost the 1st day.

I did use a foam mute under the strings (between the strings and body) and pushed up against the bridge when I played in the 70's to get that sound.

Would not dream of it now though.

Cheers

Alan.

Yep, my '75 reissue Jazzie B came with that foam mute in the accessories with the bridge cover. I never put the bridge cover on so the mute never went in either.

Ditto the earlier comments on flatwounds and mids.

Jed

try the foam

Definitely try putting a piece of foam under your strings jammed up against the bridge. It'll give you a cool muted, pseudo fretless sound. It's a cool sound. May not be exactly what you're looking for, but give it a shot.

If you have access to a short scale bass you should try putting some flatwounds on it. Grab a pick and then palm mute the strings or slide a little foam or soft rubber under the strings where they break across the bridge.

They didn't really have dedicated bass amps back then so you should try a tube guitar combo with a 1x12, 2x12, or 4x10 speaker configuration. On my amp I have swapped the 12ax7 preamp tube for a 12au7. It's very clean and a little more hifi sounding.

Often a piece of felt was laid on the strings near the bridge(more to the back side of the bridge) to kill off some of the overtones and then a hard felt pick used.

I have nothing to add other than to give you props for your "Wild Wild West" theme song example. That bass sound popped into my head immediately when I read that :).

Just stay away from those tight pants or you'll be playing alto instead of bass :D.

G.

If you have access to a short scale bass you should try putting some flatwounds on it. Grab a pick and then palm mute the strings or slide a little foam or soft rubber under the strings where they break across the bridge.

They didn't really have dedicated bass amps back then so you should try a tube guitar combo with a 1x12, 2x12, or 4x10 speaker configuration. On my amp I have swapped the 12ax7 preamp tube for a 12au7. It's very clean and a little more hifi sounding.

I'm pretty sure they had bass amps back then.

Here Today - The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Hi..One example of this cool muted bass sound can be hear in the song Here Today by The Beach Boys on Pet Sounds Album.

Back