Getting started

eamici

Just bought a Tascam 414mkII and have some basic questions, which are in part related to fact that i don't understand the concepts of line, mic, electric/acoustic guitar, amp "levels". Can someone give a simple short course on this as it applies to "where to plug stuff in and why."
Specific problems a) are trying to plug the drum mics (via a mixer)into the rear stereo 5/6 7/8 inputs and not getting enough volume b) direct recording from an amps "line out" and getting a lot of static...even when the amp is off!

Just spent twenty minutes writing a reply, only to lose it when I hit Send and was told my login timed out. You can imagine that discourages further participation. Not your fault, but if ANYBODY'S LISTENING...

a) what outputs are you using on your mixer? Is the signal okay at those outputs, say if you plug a headphone into each? Trace the chain. If it's okay there, you may need to run them into inputs 1 & 2 set to "Line".

b) Assuming you mean a guitar amp, you should be able to plug that output line directly into your choice of inputs 1-4 set to "Line". More info on what you're recording and how, please.

-kent

Thanks for the time.
The music is acoustic rock. I've got 2 vocals going to channels 1 & 2. I'm mixing the two acuostic guitars with internal pickups into channel 3. The bass is going to channel 4, however that's where I'm having one problem. The line out from the new ampeg bass amp is creating the hiss...even when the amp is turned off. Have tried changing cables to no avail. While i realize I could plug the bass guitar directly into channel 4 of the 414, I like the sound thru the amp. I guess the hiss issue is a naging one that is not critical but being a newbie, I'd like to understand whats going on.
Lastly, I'm running 3 drum mics thru a radio shack mixer and pluggin them into the rear inputs 5/6 &7/8 on the tape deck. But the volume is very low. I'm clueless as to how these inputs work ie. how to regulate volume and which channels they supply in momo or stereo.
Thanks again.

Okay, first up, Jeff the Tascam Guy, hangs out here some. If you're lucky maybe he'll chime in, but you may have to start a new thread naming him or at least mentioning Tascam to make sure he checks it out. He knows way me about their products.

For example, about 5/6 & 7/8. I've only ever used those effect returns. I'd assume they're set to a nominal level and you just try not to overdrive them with your input level. But what tracks do they record to? I dunno. Mine's lived in the closet since I got my DAW. If you have the manual, read it and tell me. If you don't, go to Tascam.com. It may be available as a pdf, or you may find your answer.

So you're recording the whole ensemble live in one pass, no overdubs planned, right? Good for you. Much less labor intensive and suited to the limitations of a 4-tracker. It means having very limited flexibility for adjusting each instruments level after the fact, but if you test for levels as you go, you can make adjustments on the fly and sorta mix as you track.

That Ampeg bass head, does it have other output options? If so, try them. I tracked one recently where we finally gave up trying to get a usable signal from it and just mic'd the cabinet. If you don't need the sound of the bass in the room, you might consider just taking a direct box or instrument preamp into a track input. If you have access to neither, you could try plugging it into one of your mixer's inputs and record it with the drums. Line splitters are handy toys when you need the amp sound in the room, but want to record via DI.

Hey, just thought of something. I'm not sure about the mkII, but how are the input trims set for your mixer channels? I know mine had little sliders for each of 1-4. With the channel fader set in the nominal position (about 3/4 of the way to max) you set the input trim for only as much as is necessary to get a good strong signal to tape, judging by your meters and ears (by listening to playback). Too high and you'll get extra noise.

You never said what outputs you use on your mixer. I'm not familiar with any of radio shack's mixers, but I assume you're talking about L/R stereo outs? If so, are you able to adjust the master output level on the mixer? How is that set? Does changing the mixers output level have any effect on the signal you record on the Tascam? It certainly should. On the 414, is there a switch for "Effect/Monitor", and how is it set?

As for the 5/6 & 7/8 stereo or mono thing, I used my as mono returns for my delay and reverbs. But I believe, and again check your manual or the website, they are capable of receiving a stereo signal via TRS cable. If I'm right, you should be able to use a TRS Y-cable to take the L/R outputs of your mixer to either stereo input and have it record a stereo signal onto tracks 1 & 2. And I may be full of it.

Here's an alternate suggestion. Run everything in mono and give each element its own track: drums, bass, guitars, vocals. It means getting the micing right during the session, but allows the ability to mix each element separately after the fact.
-kent

Wow..thanks for the extensive reply. In the interim I registered with Tascam & posted the question. I'll see what comes back. Also I read the manual more extensively and found that the rear inputs 5/6 & 7/8 are line level. Does that mean a mic won't register anything? Is that what you meant by nominal level? I'm not sure what you mean by overdriving the inputs.

The only other output on the bass amp is for headphones.

The radio shack mixer doesn't regulate out put.

I'm not clear on your last suggestion, running everything in mono? How does this work in terms of what's input into what.

I'm obviously on the left side of the curve. Thanks for the time and patience.

Great, the Tascam board should help. I just noticed we have a Tascam Users board here. You might check that out.

Most mixers and standalone mic pres raise microphone levels to Line level. I don't know your mixer, or the mics you use, so I'll refrain from further comment.

What I meant about mono was sending one signal for each instrument to each of the four tracks armed to record. No left/right. For example, Track 1 would record the sum of your drum mics, 2 the bass, 3 the guitars, and 4 the vocals. The caveat is that you need to get the balance right while recording, because once you have summed three drum mics to one track you will not be able to go raise the level of the snare independently later. Same for the track with two vocals, and the one with two guitars.

This is a compromise based on the limitations of four inputs and trying to record the whole group at once. Alternatively, you could record one signal per track and plan to do a couple bounce-downs and overdub away!
-kent

Back