Getting Started Going Digital

ManyaManya

I am looking to buy a computer and software/hardware to build a home recording studio. I need the ability to record 4 to 6 tracks live. I'll spend what I must, but don't need cutting edge over-priced equipment. I'm just looking for a simple list of equipment/software with pros and cons.

Can anyone give me some simple, practical advise - or at least some inportant questions to concider before spending lots-o-money.

Many thanks - Dan

I assume you are coming from analog?

If so do you already have mics and preamps?

If you have preamps, get a Delta 1010 soundcard, run any number of software programs. Cakewalk, Logic, Cubase...You can do 8 tracks at a time.

If you need preamps get an Aardvark Q10. Has 8 tracks at a time as well, but includes pretty nice preamps. You can use the same software.

Get a decent PC, Athlon processor or something, 512 RAM since it is cheap, 40 gig HD and you are set to go.

The Delta card runs around 550 bucks, the Aardvark card like 750.

I started off recording on the computer but with (sampletitude 2496) if a great program everything u could as for. We released a cd using the entire computer. www.sekd.com
This site have some free download download the samplitude quick start guide and see if that is the program for you. also they have sound cards. I also have a copy of samplitude collecting dust. :)

Good luck
www.mp3.com/megadon

I'd say Wes' suggestion sounds rite on the money. You could also consider the ST-Audio (Hoontech) C-Port (about 400 bucks) at Mars, but only if you're fairly proficient with a PC (the drivers aren't the easiest to set-up). Like the Delta, you can record 8 tracks at once (24 bit), and it does not include pre-amps (not very good ones, anyway).

Thank you all for your responses.

Question: Does the software (ie Cakewalk, ProTools, etc) come with the input card? Would the mics run to the preamp (Ardvark) then into the input card? Or would you need a mixing board?

Probably a stupid question...but I'm new to this.

Thanks again

Back