Getting rid of unwanted audio

Phildo

I heart guitars!
Right - my ol' 1680 has a function called "optimize" which you use if you're happy that you won't need to keep your multiple undos. You just "optimise" the disk and it dumps the unnecessary audio, freeing up disk space.

I've looked in my SX3 manual, but I can't seem to find whether there's a similar function in Cubase. And I'm lazy, too. So I've done what I prefer to do in these cases. Which is ask if somebody else has already done the tedious work for me and can tell me if there is such a routine.

heh no problem

I never even thought of optimizing my projects until a few months ago, when I realized I had a four-track, two minute song clocking in at 3 gigabytes :eek:

It's great, just make SURE you don't need any of the deleted tracks. I've had two such instances where I've deleted important stuff.

Yep. Found that one out :(

Luckily I didn't lose anything important, though. Phew.

I did find that I had a song which was one-and-a-half minutes long, used eight tracks and was 2.4 gig, though...

Just be sure you only have one project in each folder. I had a new folder for just recording ideas down and when I removed unused media, it got rid of all the other audio files exept for that particular project.

pinhedgtr said:
Just be sure you only have one project in each folder. I had a new folder for just recording ideas down and when I removed unused media, it got rid of all the other audio files exept for that particular project.

I feel your pain. Whymeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
and youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

quick note: if you prepare for archive (which you think would shrink it down) the size gets quite a bit larger (i had a 30%increase last time)

unrelated? or is it

seismetr0n said:
quick note: if you prepare for archive (which you think would shrink it down) the size gets quite a bit larger (i had a 30%increase last time)

unrelated? or is it

Does it print the effects when you archive? That would add a fair bit of space, and the unused tracks most likely bloat the filesize a fair amount (if you're like me and have 800 takes per track)

Back