getting rid of the hiss

Sydney

Hi,

Are there any tricks that can be used to get rid of the hiss in a recording? I have a wav file recorded from a casette tape, and the hiss is very loud and makes it hard to hear the music. I'm using Cakewalk PA9, and only have the basic effects that it comes with (EQ, chorus, delay, etc).

Sydney

Sydney said:
Hi,

Are there any tricks that can be used to get rid of the hiss in a recording? I have a wav file recorded from a casette tape, and the hiss is very loud and makes it hard to hear the music. I'm using Cakewalk PA9, and only have the basic effects that it comes with (EQ, chorus, delay, etc).

Sydney

Samplitude 6 has a dehisser and also you can remove crackles and pops from old vinyl records....

What do you have going into your computer? How are you gettin your audio into the computer? Alot of times hiss comes from a mixer, mic or cables. and if you over eq a track, you can get some hiss there. like Scottboyher said, download the trial version of cool edit pro at www.cooledit.com Cool edit pro's noise reduction is real good. it has drawings of the wave and you can pinpoint the noise and cut it out without effecting the rest of the singnal. But look into your mixer,mic and cables, because sometimes it can take a long time to reduct the hiss depending on the size of the song.

Hiss is inherent in the cassette-tape format - actually - any analog tape format...

Dolby Noise Reduction was developed to help reduce this - but it is a 2-step process - step gets applied during recording, then step 2 occurs on playback...

This is irrelevant if you're still fighting tape hiss from the source - Dolby won't help in this case. But you can use noise-removing plug-ins to help minimize the problem to a degree.

And like i said, try to stop hiss BEFORE it starts. I use hiss reduction plug-ins when i'm remixing old lp records or tapes.
If you apply the hiss reduction to all of your recordings you better
Have a big hard drive. Hiss reduction takes up alot of space.

Zeke

I'd second the Cool Edit hiss reduction.

Get a sample of the HISS and let CEP use this profile to remove it on your tracks. It works GREAT!

ZEKE SAYER said:
...you better Have a big hard drive. Hiss reduction takes up alot of space.
It doesn't take up any more space than the audio file....... it's just another applied plug-in.

Why on earth do you think it takes more space???

Well, when i was useing cool edit pro, i tryed to apply nosie reduction to a 4min. song and it told me that it would take 7 hours! :eek: and the computer is windows 98 with a couple of gigs.

But like i said before, if you stop it before it starts then you want have to worry about this. Maybe my computer is just crap. don't act that way in guitar tracks 2 though.

zeke

Zeke that is because of processor speed and amount of RAM.
North part of Ga.
I'm in Rome, Ga. Anywhere close to you?

Yo Syd:

Tell Boom that if he married a girl named KA, she'd be Mrs. KA BOOM.

Great stage name huh?

As to noise, hiss, etc., I saw a new product in the latest issue of EM magazine. It runs 99 dollars advertised price so it must be lower than that street price:

Name:

Bias

You can check them out at:

www.bias-inc.com

It's a PC plug-in. I don't use a pc but this sounds like an interesting product.

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

Back