Getting rid of hissing from mixer???????

artdamage

there's a background hiss coming in from my alesis multi mix 8 usb 2.0 whenever i record. i've checked all other possibilities, and it's absolutely the mixer that's doing it. i've tried turning the gain down, the level 1 down, the main mix, etc... nothing seems to work without bringing in the excess white noise. it's extremely frustrating.

it doesn't make a difference if i have a keyboard or guitar or computer plugged in, nor any effects pedals. it's a stand alone issue that is recurring yet does not always happen. it randomly comes up, yet i feel like there's something i can do to fix it.

any thoughts?

Are you running all your cables at low impedance? that is the ones that are suppost to be.
If you have dimmers on your lights or if they are floresant lighting this could be a problem.
Is there a ground switch on the console? try and lift the ground to see if it goes away ... but this is not a good alternative to run with out a ground.

:cool:

Sounds like a gain stage setting problem. With a normal input coming into the channel, bring the "Gain" control up until the "Peak" light flashes. Once it starts flashing bring the "Gain" down just enough to eliminate the flashing. This sets the input stage. Once that is set bring the "Level" control up (or down) as necessary to get the overall level balance. Do this with each channel and if the mixer is any good (I've never used that model) it should give you a clean signal going out.

thanks for your replies. i'm using a dell laptop w/windows 7, but that's besides the point, this is a stand alone mixer issue.
the mixer is being plugged into an extension cable alongside other devices, but it's always been that way and this problem resurfaces randomly. in other words i've had a clean signal plenty of times yet every time i was using an extension cable.

if it's intermittent I would say that there's something in your house that kicks on every now and again and when it does, it causes an issue with your mixer.

thanks for your replies. i'm using a dell laptop w/windows 7, but that's besides the point, this is a stand alone mixer issue.
the mixer is being plugged into an extension cable alongside other devices, but it's always been that way and this problem resurfaces randomly. in other words i've had a clean signal plenty of times yet every time i was using an extension cable.

Yea, its definitely a power issue. Try using your laptops battery power and I bet you wont see your issue
Make sure there all plugged into the same electrical grid in your house. Using 2different ones can cause this.
Cj

Yea, its definitely a power issue. Try using your laptops battery power and I bet you wont see your issue
Make sure there all plugged into the same electrical grid in your house. Using 2different ones can cause this.
Cj

nope. im using one extension cord. one grid. like i said, it's a standalone, faint white noise, meaning it happens without any laptop, instrument, etc... it's the mixer alone.

Back