Getting new 'high spec' system

Superhuman

Shagaholic
I just did some work for a good frind of mine pro bono and he is repaying me for my troubles with a new pc for my home studio. He has an IT company and is also a Dell reseller so he said he would pimp me up with a top end system. Just want to make sure I don't end up with something that won't be compatable with my existing software...

I use Cubase SX3 (might upgrade to 4 soon), have a load of East West Samples VST packages including Symphonic Orchestra (some packages use Play others use Kontact), GigaStudio 3, Halion 3, DFHS, I also have an Echo Layla 3G soundcard and a ot of USB hardware and a midi controler (Mackie HUI) and a USB keyboard. I also have a UAD-1 card for fx and mastering. Most of my stuff is multi tracked guitars with heavy plug-in use so I need to be able to stream big samples from disk and record long takes. The problem with my current system is the stuttering that can occur when a lot of effects and edits are running on the audio channels (compressors, reverbs, delays, EQ's, cross fades etc - along with drums and synths on the midi side).

My friend suggests a Windows XP Pro 64bit OS with 16GB of RAM, 1.5TB of fast disk space and a dual quad-core processor set-up. He's also fitting a graphics card that allows two screens and will be supplying a large 36" widescreen TFT monitor. I'm stripping away all unnecessary software (no need for Office or anything other than Explorer for software updates only). I will network my existing Dell Optiplex for ancilary stuff and extra storage for samples etc. This guy owes me big so he said I can get whatever I want 'within reason', I just don't want to get the Mac Daddy system that crashes because of software/hardware conflicts.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great comp, but your OS may not be supported by most of your hardware and software. Basically, with xp pro 64 yo umay be looking at a kick ass internet browser!

Been doing a bit of research since I posted this, Cubase SX3 is XP 64 bit compliant and there is a software update from UAD for the dsp card. Also, DFHS works best on 64 bit systems, and thankfully the Echo Layla 3G works in 64 bit too. Might lose a few of the smaller plug-ins but it looks like most of the larger suites have download fixes to allow 32 bit to 64 bit system upgrades:-)

Last edited:
Then you may have answered your question and the one I was asking myself a little while ago. I like the way xp64 deals with stuff and the added options, but when I was looking there was still a lot of things out there that did not have xp64 drivers or had issues. I am glad to see that is changing and may have to give xp64 another look myself:)

Then you may have answered your question and the one I was asking myself a little while ago. I like the way xp64 deals with stuff and the added options, but when I was looking there was still a lot of things out there that did not have xp64 drivers or had issues. I am glad to see that is changing and may have to give xp64 another look myself:)

Can you still buy XP64? I thought it was discontinued :confused:

Started out a little buggy allright but there have been plenty of updates from Microsoft since. Pretty much the same as when the 32bit system came out - hence the service pack downloads etc. Couldnt see Microsoft going backwards from 64 bit OS though - 'onwards and upwards' and all of that malarky.

Back