getting nervous performing in a gig, normal?!!

n4eem

is the above normal?? it happens to me every time, sometimes it affects my performnce!!! any usefull tips and advices?? thanx

The only thing that really helps is experience. You just get used to it after awhile. I got to the point where I felt much more comfortable perorming ion front of large groups than small ones, like friends. Large groups are less likely to be paying much attention to you.

But yeah, I once completely forgot the chords to a song in front of about 3,000 people. :eek:

I still cringe when I think about it. :(

notCardio said:
But yeah, I once completely forgot the chords to a song in front of about 3,000 people. :eek:

I still cringe when I think about it. :(

i know what ya mean... in order to keep from going to nam i played in the air force band... one of the things i did was front a jazz/rock ensemble so infront of a bout 2k high schoolers i could not for the life of me remember susperstions... after a long solo ...ended it ,,, walked away...lol

interesting thread, but i'm sure it is a common problem. I know for me it is. Sometimes its so bad that my hand gets really jittery and I miss the strings i am supposed to pick! :eek: I think i just need to "confront my fears" more often. :cool:

I always get butterflys just before I go on stage.....goes away halfway through the first song though...I think its normal to be a little jittery.

n4eem said:
any usefull tips and advices?? thanx

Realizing that you actually enjoy performing helps. Rest helps too, if you are tired it will affect you and make nerves worse.

I would get a lil nervous on occasion. After i got sick I realized that playing is the reason I am alive, its the thing I enjoy most in life. nerves went away. :)

another thing is just getting really confident about your music. Just making sure everything is perfect and there's nothin too worry about. and the two shots of tequila would hurt either. :D

I find being pretty buzzed after a few drinks helps your nerves at the beginning, theres no real problem if your a punk band :)

But if your doing a big band or marching band performance and your off the rocker, it's a bit different.

But as far as nerves go, after about the first song you end up feeling as if you are just sitting around jamming with your freinds

Make sure the first song of your set isn't to hard/fast!! hahah

iceyflame said:
I find being pretty buzzed after a few drinks helps your nerves at the beginning, theres no real problem if your a punk band :)

But if your doing a big band or marching band performance and your off the rocker, it's a bit different.

Its all the same. I would go out and play symphony gigs loaded/ :rolleyes:

The problem arises if you do a few hundred gigs a year like I do. You end up having recording sites opening up SAS forums because of you ;)

Back