Getting more instruments out of Cakewalk???

Faust

I was wondering if anybody knew of a place where I could get some more instruments to d/l for Cakewalk pro Audio 9. Specifically I'm looking for a keyboard violin synth type of sound or that choir voice type of sound. Something like on Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse or on the Dragonlord album. You know that black metal synth sound. Cakewalk pro audio's instruments (the ones that came with it) synth and choir voice are too cheesy sounding to get what I want.

I don't really know how to get them or how to set them up once I get them. I got the Cakewalk Power! book to help me, but if you got any pointers that would be great. Thanks.

Someone at the cakewalk newsgroup mentioned "Soundfonts." Is this what I need in order to get more instruments?

Faust said:
Cakewalk pro audio's instruments (the ones that came with it) synth and choir voice are too cheesy sounding to get what I want.
This might be news to you, but Pro Audio doesen't come with any sounds. My guess that you're either using the onboard sounds (on your soundcard) or using that awfull Microsoft GM Synth.

Soundfonts are great! I'm at work right now, but will post some links when I get home.

What soundcard do you have? Creatives SB Live and Audigy (and AWEcards) have native support for soundfonts. Check out the Cakewalk FAQ (which is made by members of this BBS). It offers sollutions to your "problem".

Good luck! And remember: We're always here! :D

If you really want to have a bigger selection of sounds, dump PA9 and get HS2004 so you can use DXi softsynths.

I think you definitely want to get some dxi, or better yet vsti capabilities. I say "better yet" because there are a lot of really good free vsti's out there. Not so many free dxi's.

Take a look at upgrading.

Back