getting it together

jax

I have decided on an analog mixer(MACKIE), 2 ADATS,and the TANGO 24,(I think thats what I need to connect the mixer to the recorders). I want to be able to do some editing( such as duplicating a chorus or moving tracks or some compression. I do lean toward rack effects so I don't think a lot of software effects are what I'm looking for. I was pointed to a DAKOTA soundcard to go with the A/D converter. Now , do I have all my ducks in a row here so far? If so I'm just missing that software. Recommendations? I would also like to use a MIDI guitar or keyboard and drum machine to add some finishing touches to my productions(16 tr). I saw something about on-sceen editing for my ALESIS SR16 drum machine, but I got lost in the mist.
jax

[This message has been edited by jax (edited 03-19-2000).]

What Mackie are you looking at getting?
Not exactly sure why you'd need the Tango other than bypassing the D/A converters on the ADAT. You didn't mention if you plan to get LX20 or XT20. If LX20, that's probably a good idea to use a dedicated converter as the ones on the LX20 aren't the best. XT20, I think the converters are good enough to go straight into the board, though.
Ever think about getting a digital board? I think I would invest the money in a digital mixer instead of the Tango/Mackie combo. Then you'd get comp/gate on every channel and on probably some onboard effects too. It was a worthwhile investment for my 16trk ADAT set up.
I was also originally looking at getting a Wavecenter PCI card from Frontier Design ... but lately am leaning toward LynxOne. Doesn't have the lightpipe, though .. so that may be a deal breaker for you.
Anyway, good luck with your set up.

Back