Getting it right. Mixing

getgo

So, could some of the seasoned pro's share a little of their insight on mixing? I don't mean all of your tricks but I have been working and working a mix. An hour here and an hour there. Burn a disc and go try it in different places, listen for a couple days, take notes, go back and adjust, burn again etc. etc. I think I've got it pretty close and then some little thing bugs me. A tambo part a little hot here, a lead guitar stepping on a vocal. Man, it could go on for-ever. When do you quit? That is the question, when do you quit?

That is the hardest part about doing your own stuff. When you are doing someone elses, you quit when they think it's fine (or when they run out of money)
You are just too close to it. There is no magical perfect mix. It is all a compromise on some level.

Good answer Jason. I agree that there has to be a compromise in the end and the hardest projects are your own. If I can make myself happy I'm ready to take on a project other than my own.

Try to step back. Leave it alone for a couple of days, then put it on as background music and see if anything twists your ear. It is always much more important that the mix feels right. Nobody else will notice the 3 tamborine hits that get stomped on by the lead guitar in the bridge.

Back