Getting into analog

SourIce

I've been wanting to try and record some basic acoustic, voice, shaker type stuff. Nothing huge just 2-4 tracks, but getting that warm analog sound and trying my hand with tape.

Are there any basic guides to getting into this stuff? I have no idea what kind of machine I want to buy, or about all of this tape and demagnetizing tape heads and stuff that I've been reading here :p

Theres plenty of links to ebay stuff here but I don't know what exactly I need or should be looking for, how much the total cost of everything is going to be, etc. Any help would be wonderful :)

You open to a cassette multi-track machine or are you set on open-reel? The cassette machines are relatively dirt-cheap and portable, easy to use...a very way to get started or to keep going but it will get you acclimateed to the process and help you learn what you want to "upgrade" to if anything...and the best part is that, IMO, the cassette machines sound really nice. A Tascam 424 mkII or mkIII...also, the manuals that come with those are pretty good at walking you through the multitracking steps and procedures.

Well, there are analog machines around just about every budget right now and the market is down on them generally, so start with a budget and that will narrow things down for you. Then figure out how much effort you're willing to put into maintaining them (if any), and how much you're willing to spend on tape and supplies--tape gets more expensive as it gets bigger. You could get a big reel of 1/4" tape for 50 bucks or so, or 1" will be more like 150. As for brands, I would stick to new reels of tape so you only have two brands to look at--RMGI or ATR, and which you buy will depend some on the machine you get and some on your tastes. If you're thinking of a 4-track machine, you're most likely going to have your choice of 1/4" (semi-pro format) or 1/2" (pro format).

In addition to the machine, you will need some inexpensive cleaning supplies (a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol, about a dollar...a box of paper stick cotton swabs, a few dollars, and you probably already have some Windex or 409 around the house for the pinch roller). Depending whether you get a prosumer deck or a professional deck you may want/need a tension guage but cross that bridge when you get there. You probably want a basic multimeter handy too. As for a demagnetizer, it kind of also depends. I just bought a Han-D-Mag but I'm using a professional 1" MCI machine in a commercial studio so I did need that...occasional use in a home studio, I may not be so worried about it. In any even, I bought the Han-D-Mag from Markertek for about 60 bucks shipped.

In buying an analog machine possibly the most important thing to look at is the condition of the heads, beyond the Tascam cassette 4-track recorders, these machines are pretty much all "vintage" and only worth the heads that are on 'em. Here's a page showing you what a bad head might look like: Audio Tape Recorder Heads that have gone BAD !!! Beyond that...in 4-track format, prosumer brands, you'll probably be looking at Tascam and Fostex (other guys here are much more well versed in those), professional brands you'll likely be looking at Otari (especially MX5050), MCI JH-110, possibly Ampex. As a newbie, I would avoid the MCI unless it's a stupidly good deal, it's in OK condition and you're feeling really adventurous...trust me, I'm a newbie who just spent over a year getting a 110 back in working condition. It was a mammoth pain in the ass (but a very cool machine). Ampex is gonna be pretty old, the flipside to that is pretty simple inside...generally you would expect the pro machines to need more maintenance...really if I were you, I'd look at Tascam, Fostex, Otari and avoid "fixer uppers".

Hey guys thanks for the replies :)

I'm open to anything, I know the basic difference between casette (As obviously its casette) but I know nothing I'm reel to reel.

So I should be looking into Tascam 4 track casette machines, and reel to reel machines? As of right now I would be going the 'Prosumer' cheap route. I have $150 on hand right now but I can save up more, It's not a big deal, I just don't want to spend a fourtune.

How much would a casette machine run for? Ninjaedit: I'll lookup the casette machines you suggested ^

So in that case how much would a basic 4 track reel to reel cost? I'd be going with the $50 1/4" tape probably if it makes any difference. My last question I can really think of is after recording on whatever medium, how would I go about transferring it digitally? For cassette I assume just get it converted/transferred somewhere? But how would you go about getting it off of reel-reel?

-------------

Alright so I found this aunction for the MKIII and looks good: http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-424MKIII...ultDomain_0&hash=item19c25757b2#ht_749wt_1139

It looks nice, I looked up a quick recording of an acoustic thing on youtube done with it and I liked it. I'm willing to just grab one and dive in, but the tapes are available, and it will have a warmer sound then digital?

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with sweetbeats on the Tascam 4 track cassette.The 424 mkII or III are a great starting point and are easy to use and sound great.I got mine for $60 used in mint condition.They do sound warmer than digital to my ears and cassettes are not too hard to find.Just make sure you get type II cassettes.Keep checking youtube as I have come across alot of 4 track cassette demos that sound amazing.

Yeah I assumed with my post that you were after open reel specifically...but if you're cool with cassettes, a Portastudio would be very cheap, reliable, simple...50 bucks should get you one. The sound will be warm and compressed and dirtier/lo-fi compared to open reel or digital, but in a cool way. It could be a cheap, easy way to dip your toes in analog. Try to find one that hasn't been overused (shot heads/pinch roller/etc) and all you should need for maintenance is some paper stick swabs and 99% isopropyl.

Back