Getting Good Tight Bass guitar sounds?

Link

I've been using beyer M88's and Shure SM57's on guitar cabinets for quite a while and can pull an awesome sound. But when it comes to bass (with the AKGd112)I can't seem to get the tight punchy sound that I want. I have tried a few different ways of micing it up, and with different microphones, but it always ends up to bassy, and it won't fit in the mix properly. If I EQ or use the filters, it kills the sound somewhat, and I'm sick of DI'ing all the time to get a good sound. Can anybody help me or give me a few tips on how to tighten it up so that the whole mix isn't a bottom heavy steamroller (although thats good for some types of music).

Are you using compression?
Only in a perfect world with maybe Stanley Clark can you record bass without it.
The E string is a monster. The compressor is the best tool to flatten out the peaks including the ones you can't decipher because they are too low for your ears to make sense of.That's why all those low end harmonics are interpeted as boom. Also when you compress you get more mids and string bright if that's what you want. If not then EQ or notch it out.

Yeah, I do use a lot of compression, just to even things out. I thunk it must be in my micing technique or choice of mics.

Link,

You may want to try a combination of the mic AND a DI signal. This way, you have a clean DI signal and the bassy mic signal. You can then vary them according to the needs of the song. Have you tried that?

Rev E

I agree with Link - DI + mic is the way to go! For bass. But first get a good live sound with the amp, so you can be sure it's the micing that's the problem. Active bass pickups help a lot, or you can also get a outboard preamp like the Sadowsky. You can also use the mid-notch or contour feature found on some amps like most Fenders, it soudns like compression but actually is a mid-boost, so that it increases sustain and won't sound too boomy.

I would not mic at all.
If you want total control on the bottem then use a DI only.
If you insist to mic then you have to keep the mic close to the amp. make sure it's centered on the speaker
Keep yuur amp of the floor by placing on a chair that will also help you.

You have to be carefull with the volume on the amp or you will overdrive the mic.

In general - room ambience contains low end and tends to sound muddy and unclear. Room ambience isn't equal in all freq's and there is a good chance your bass will sound boomy.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 04-28-2000).]

I've gotten decent results going direct only as well. I have found that mic'ing, or even mixing a mic and DI signal, just muddies things up...but this could be due to a lack of experience on my part.

dmc

Link- Sorry I can't help with your question but it seems you can help me with mine. You say you can pull an "awesome" sound from a guitar cab. I just beginning with this but I need some tips. I'm the guitarist first of all, and I have a great tone (after 15 years of searching..). I'm going to record my band's originals on my computer and have more than adequate software and hardware. Mics aren't the greatest (57's, 58's, EV) but usable. How do I capture my killer tone? It's hard rock and I have to say the recording tone I'm looking for could resemble late 80's Scorpions recordings. Thanks for any help!

DI seems to work o.k. for some stuff, but it's hard to make it sound very gutsy. I had luck recently recording bass through a guitar amp. A Fender blues DeVille to be specific. Add a touch of gain for a nice ballsy sound.

If it's not compression then mic placement. I too mostly go direct through a tube pre. With little or no eq.Don't use headphone to monitor either. Reference of volume only.If eq is used or even not, make sure the contour is there before you use headphones for levels only. Only to track with as well.

Have you tried a Light Wave pick-up?
You mentioned Stanley and that's what he's
using these days.
The unit uses a light frequency ranging technique on each string and then synthesizes the sound from the actual vibrations that would be produced by the movement of a string in the way the pick-up perceives the motion.
Very flat frequency response....

My attempts to record bass with any form of DI has always resulted in a somewhat flabby sound that I end up eq'ing to death. Best bang for the buck will probably be the Bass Pod for us homerecorders. Sorry for being redundant.

I hate to state the obvious, but a good bass sounds starts with a really good bass and a really good player.

From there, I'd agree with some of the others that a mixture of DI signal and a mic is a great way to go.

A decent tube bass head (Ampeg or even a Fender Bassman 100) can get you a more "classic" sound, but I've gotten great bass tones even out of a solid-state Crate GX-60 guitar amp by using the clean channel and the line-out. Again, I think the bass and the player make the most difference.

Contrary to popular wisdom, I find 12" speakers give a very good bass tone in the studio, contrary to the popular wisdom that 18" and 10" speakers are the only option for bass.

Experiment A LOT with mic placement as the difference can be night and day with just a few inches of movement.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by CharlesThomas (edited 05-30-2000).]

Oh, I almost forgot. Another piece of obvious advice. Brand new strings are a MUST in my experience to get that bright, "piano-string" sound that really holds its own in a mix.

Bass Pod???? I use my Guitar Pod for bass. Sounds great.
I have recorded in 5 different studios and they all used a line out from the bass head for the sound. I think bass amps push too much air and overcompress the mic diaphragm or something.
The best bass sound I have gotten in a studio was to run the bass guitar into a signal splitter then run one line from the splitter direct into the mixing console, then run the other line out from the splitter into the bass amp then run a line from the preamp out to the board and record both signals at once and mix the two with a slight L/R pan. That allowed us to get a Seinfeld-ish kinda slap sound but with a serious thump.
Try that...
Mic'ing = no.

Bass Pod????

Why haven't i heard of this one yet!!

Also I have to go with the good player + good bass + DI method I love my bass sound

Carvin LB76A

Here's what I do, and this always sounds good for me....

You need a good ACTIVE DI, or active pickups on the bass. Usually, I will DI directly from the bass and run it through a regular compressor. At the same time, I will EQ the amp to my satisfaction and record off the built-in amp DI. (Watch out for this, because I've had problems with staticy built-in DI's). Then I will mix the two signals onto the center channel, or pan them to the sides if the bass is the "main attraction", in order to get that natural "3D" sound. As long as you're using good equipment, the most you'll have to do is run more compression in the mix. I've never had to EQ bass at all.

It's been my experience that cheap mic's don't record bass very well. I've used an Alesis AM-51 with pretty good results, but it's easier to DI, and I tend to get equally good or better results.

Hope this helps.

Back