getting eq before inserts?

rgraves

Hi all,

I am using a frequency analyser to help me with identifying the areas I'm eq;ing sometimes, and I noticed that the EQ changes don't show up on it because I am using it as an insert. What would be the way to see in the frequency analysis insert the eq changes I am making?

Thanks for the help!

Well, there are a couple of things I can think of. First, use an inserted EQ in your chain before the analyzer. Second, insert the analyzer on your main out and solo channels that you want analyzed.

ok, using it on the main out worked perfectly, thanks a million. Now, relating to another post I put out, I am rolling off low frequencies below 20HZ because I am getting a lot of them on my keyboard/synth and electronic drums.

I should have mentioned I am using Cubase SX. I am also only using the EQ that comes with it. I have rolled off frequencies for example at 40 and below, and I put -24 in the gain on the EQ. It does work and rolls the frequencies at exactly -24 db, but then there are still low frequencies and then when I combine them all in the end mix I still end up with a fair amount of subsonic frequencies. Is there a way to curb the frequencies more drastically?

I loaded up a couple of my favorite metal songs and noticed that all of them have a very sharp decline in frequencies below 20 HZ to practically nothing(like -60 db), and I am still getting around -15 to -20 db of between 2HZ and 25HZ even after rolling the individual tracks

What I would suggest is using an actuall high pass filter setting in your EQ and rolling it up to about 50 hz. It will still allow some stuff below 50 hz, but may give you a bit more of the curve that you are looking for. You could also try using a high pass filter on your main output. You may be surprised how little audio below 40 hz or so that you need or even want. Especially with a busy mix (like a lot of metal is). Also consider that ultra low frequencies like that will appear hotter on an analyzer than the audible perception of them will be, assuming even that your amp and speakers will reproduce that. Many amps however will attempt or actually reproduce it and burn up amp headroom even though most speakers will not reproduce anything that low. Even excellent subs are most often not very efficient at 30 hz and below. It is good practice to contain those things though:)

I use the Blue Filter quite a bit... it's a freebie and will give you a pretty sharp high/low pass. Also, I believe inserts 7 & 8 on the channels are post-fader/eq, so if you insist on using the stock EQ you could put your analysis plug there....

Back