Getting back into it: Suggestions?

ahuimanu

I haven't played acoustic drums in 10 years (I do have a Roland TD6 Kit with some enhancements). Before that, I played for about 15 years in various bands mainly in rock-oriented styles.

Although I'm not a spring chicken anymore (let's just say I was in my 20s then), I've got the ITCH to play drums again and find some people to play with.

My question is:

For about $2000 (not over $3000), what is the best brand/model of drums I can get? I am not factoring hardware or cymbals into this, just drums.

Ideally, I'd like a 22" Kick, 16" Floor (mounted, not on legs), 12" or 13" rack and a 14" (probably 5" depth) bronze or similar metal snare?

I realize this below the Pro level, but I don't want to buy anything junky like you'll see on the sales floor of most music shops.

So, given my constraints (in terms of $$), what would be a move you'd recommend.

Any input is very appreciated!

Use your ears as always!!!! :p Try a set of Gretsch Renown Maple. IMO: Fat, warm, and punchy drums that do not lack attack! Good all around. Do some haggling at GC and you can get more than a fair price. I am starting to like these better than my Pearl Masters (MMX 4ply maple.) Paid $2600 with hardware and cymbals for this set. The shell packs run $1300, roughly. I added a Pork Pie BB snare and a mix of Sabian AA, AAX, HH cymbals and pearl hardware.

~Chris

i recently bought a special order tama starclassic performer (6-ply birch) kit. it has 5 rack toms, 1 floor tom, and a 22" kick. i paid under $2900 tax, shipping, out the door. you can easily find a high-end 5-pc acoustic kit for under $3000. i researched for 7 months before settling on the tamas, and it came down to all-around performance. great attack and tone for the studio and unbeatable value.
i know the 4-pc shell pack (10, 12, 14 toms, 22 kick) comes standard w/ hardware for $1550 without any haggling, and you're sure to shave some $$$ off if you try.
i checked out pearl masters and dw as well, and the tamas were just a no-brainer. good luck!

Used drums.

You do chance getting f-ed up shells and warped rims, but you should always play the set and inspect it until you're satisfied.

Don't forget that a new set of nice heads can really bring some old drums back to life.

Back