getting audio on a mac to burn

I've been saving up for a burner for my pc so I can burn my music from a dat. But my roomate is buying a new G4 mac with a DVD burner. My question is, does the mac come with a soundcard with a digital coaxial or optical in? Would I have to buy a ne soundcard for the mac? Someone told me the mac only has a connection system called 'Firewire" and does not have soundcards like I am familiar with on a PC, so I need some help here! All I want to do is burn my mixes, so if the mac has the ability to accept digital audio, I won't have to buy a burne for my PC. Thanks for any help anyone can offer...

I'm pretty sure Macs don't come with a digital audio connection - I've never seen one. Sounds like what you need is a couple network cards and a crossover cable (and maybe some software). You may be able to accomplish something with Firewire, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about it.

some guy told me that the G4 has "ethernet autiosensing", meaning that you don't need a crossover cable, the machine can use a common ethernet cable. Try it. If it doesn't work then get a xover cable.

I would do the following, I'll put an ftp server on the pc, and access it from the mac. Cause macs and pcs don't network seamlessly. You'll ned some software, and they cost many. Using an ftp server is not the easiest way, but it's pretty easy.

1) setup an ftp server on the pc. Here is a list of free ftp servers for pc.

2) Download an ftp client for the mac from here .

3) Set them up and there you go.

Hope it helps, cheers Andrés

Macs with OSX installed , come with Apache Server on the hard drive.

Newer G4s have Gigabit ethernet builtin, there is also a network app called "Dave" that is designed for Mac, PC networking.

Even though I work on windows networks all day, I have never networked my PC to my Mac. I have networked a couple of Macs, it was simple.

I used a hub and all I had to do was enable filesharing. Then the other machines hardrive appered on the desktop.

Good luck.

Back