Getting a publishing deal?

14yearoldkid

Is this very hard to do? I heard there are a lot of Music Publishing companies that set up deals with writers for them to give them a bunch of songs. I am 19 years old and write a bunch of music, I know my writing skills are probably not up to par yet to start looking for a publishing deal but im thinking more into the future when i have more experience in song writing... How would one go about doing this? Just sending CDs of your demos with lyrics to publishing companies? Networking trying to meet the right people to get your CD in the hands of a publisher?

Ive been told there is a lot of work for writers in commercials, reality shows, film and tv etc. Any information regarding Music Publishing would be cool, also if any of you have actually gotten a publishing deal? I'd love to hear some personal stories on this topic. thanks!

Is this very hard to do? I heard there are a lot of Music Publishing companies that set up deals with writers for them to give them a bunch of songs. I am 19 years old and write a bunch of music, I know my writing skills are probably not up to par yet to start looking for a publishing deal but im thinking more into the future when i have more experience in song writing... How would one go about doing this? Just sending CDs of your demos with lyrics to publishing companies? Networking trying to meet the right people to get your CD in the hands of a publisher?

Ive been told there is a lot of work for writers in commercials, reality shows, film and tv etc. Any information regarding Music Publishing would be cool, also if any of you have actually gotten a publishing deal? I'd love to hear some personal stories on this topic. thanks!

There's a book called the Songwriter's Market and it is published annually. It lists all the record companies, publisher's, pluggers, etc... and give details like address, contact and submission requirements. It also has articles on how to get publishing deals, work in the music industry, etc.

There is also Taxi (www.taxi.com ) where you can submit material, if it doesn't get forwarded or picked up, you get feedback for reasons why not. I know of someone who has several tv placements from Taxi. She didn't get it overnight, it took 5 years of patience and listening to the critiques and applying changes.

You can also join local songwriting groups, go to songwriter's conferences, join NSAI (Nashville Songwriter's) and start networking.

peace.

Hey man thanks for the reply... Yeah taxi is a little bit too exensive =/ maybe its worth it though? Thanks for the advice!

Hey man thanks for the reply... Yeah taxi is a little bit too exensive =/ maybe its worth it though? Thanks for the advice!

Ha, just logged back in right when you replied....

Yeah, it's a little expensive, but there's a money back guarantee for the first year. So, if it doesn't work for you, just say so and they'll return your money.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=production+music+library+submissions&aq=f&oq=

Here's a place to start. If you can record well, and compile a cd, you can submit to these guys when they ask for subs on their sites. Follow the instructions. Make a record, submit to a dozen places; do it again...hit the same ones, and any others you think look promising...once or twice a year..or whenever you have a new collection. Online subs are becoming popular...others still want a WAV or CD format of files on disc.

If they think they can successfully pitch it for commercials, films, bumpers, elevator music, or recording-artists...if it's good...they will contract some of your work.

The usual decent starting contract is a 50/50 split on licensing fees and air royalties. If their a good, reliable, actually connected and successful publishing house, they'll charge a 25%-ish fee for managing your account and financing the sales staff from the licensing fees they charge the users. The better your work, the more they sell, the greater demand among publishers, the better deal you can cut. But you gotta start. The good contracts are usually reviewable at the anniversary of the signing...if they don't want it...can't move it...they throw it back to you. Or you can take it back for submission to another house that may have better luck with the genre of a particular work or compilation. The exception will be that all contracts signed with purchasers of your music through the publisher will remain in full force and effect until agreed termination date. You should never agree to give up publishing on any of you work, except for specified periods of time.

Just try putting your stuff on a website and trying to sell it yourself...be your own publisher......and then you'll realize, after a while, it takes as much skill selling recorded product as it does recording it. Half of license fee and airplay royalties is more than 100% of nothing.

The publisher's responsible for submitting working titles into your BMI or ASCAP account. A good contract will have you collecting 100% of the composer's share....the publisher collecting 100% of the publisher's share...or, 50/50. That is negotiable as you become more successful.

So record some stuff...and send it out. I got 20+ rejections over two years...until I got 11 titles picked up by a house that specializes in film score. I got notified a few weeks ago that at least two tunes have been picked up for at least two films. I started recording three years ago.

And the great thing about submitting as you learn is that those rejections are proof that you are engaged in a business...and you can write off equipment purchases on your taxes...if you're paying them...on a Profit or Loss on a Business form...for three years ...without making a profit. After that, you need to make some money to qualify...or it becomes a 'hobby'.

Good luck! Start young! You don't need to write hit songs to make money with your little home studio. A buddy of mine pulls in a $6000 check every year because a soccer league in Spain uses one of his tunes for its theme. He has stuff on network TV shows and sports broadcasts...car commercials.....radio bumpers. It's a fantastic way to make a living!!

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the great info. I am interested too in getting my work in libraries and published. I have a lot to learn and am eager to learn it.

I'm afraid my production skills may be a little subpar though. But heck, I'm workin at it!

Thanks again, Eric

Hey Eric,

I was really astounded that the publisher got back to me. But he heard something he liked, [ a single instrumental via a file sent to the email addy of the company] and asked me what else I had. I sent him to my soundclick page. I asked him which ones he wanted; he said, "All of 'em". That's it. That easy. The guy who listened to the sub is the CEO of the company. A movie producer with a library side-business. You've seen some of his films.

I had no high hopes of landing an account...my stuff is sub-par, and my skills, so-so.

But I think that worked for me:

So much of the stuff the production houses handle is recorded too slick for its own damn good. I had another publisher ask me to submit a CD with 12+ organic, acoustic-instrument things...fiddle, bongos, real drums, guitars...with fret noise, mistakes, different sounds. He has 28 composers...and needs a couple who can make grungy records that don't sound so damn slick, and in already-explored genres. Point: YOU NEVER CAN TELL WHAT THEY MIGHT WANT.

Your music might be just the thing.....but they won't go looking for you.

The hardest part is putting the CD's in the mail. My first submissions had me sitting in my car for an hour, and standing at the mailbox for ten minutes, wondering if I was a foole. I hit on my second round in March, with about a dozen rejections before it...the ones that bothered to get back to me.

My saving grace is that I have that friend who is in the business. I just did what he said I should do. "Make stuff, and send it out. Immediately."
Having the goal of compiling a collection that sucks as little as possible is a real impetus to get busy, and learn, too.

I have another aquaintance who's had a couple gold records. He's not doing pop music, anymore. He's recording for film and adverts. You actually get paid...and not fucked by SONY, etc. "It's a different world..the people are nice." he says.[He sued SONY for the money they stole from him in their non-challant breach of contract. They do it all the time, and say "Achieve us, pee-on". He WON! SONY yawned. The lawyers, his, got damn near all of the settlement.]

I don't want no part of that world...even if I could compete in it.

Thanks for that post jeff. Some good insight for getting into this business.

I think personally, I need to say screw composing a lot of musical genres. Sticking to my guns may prove best. I can make a few genres of music very well and a lot poorly. Maybe I have gotten stuck on writing all genres as a selling point when maybe it will just be a setback from what I really do well.

Glad to hear that you don't always need the slickest production. I just need to work on a production style that works well in it's own right.

Thanks for the insight and inspiration.

Eric

Yeah! I haven't been doing it long enough to know what I can do well. :^)

I just need to work on a production style that works well in it's own right.

Yep!

Back