Getting a nice warm vocal track

StupidKid

I need a little help on setting up compression levels for a lead vocalist (he is a really good singer, but we dont have the best equipment to say.) I just ordered a presonus firepod but its no in yet so i want be on top of things when it gets here. But ive been using just an sm57 to record him through a nady mixer. It doesnt sound bad at all, just sounds like somebody is stepping on his crotch because the vocal track sounds really shrill, and im just curious is there any compression method i could add to this to help make it a little warmer?

I'd say you most likely need a mic better suited to your singer, but then there's the money issue to consider, and the fact that you might not have any, in which case i'd say you should probably try starting with some EQ rather than compression...subtractive EQ...

a compressor is not a musical panacea, though many people seem to think it is...

yeah money is a problem, i think a friend of ours is going to let us use his behringer B1 mic, so hopefully that can liven it up a bit.

glimmer_doll said:
I'd say you most likely need a mic better suited to your singer, but then there's the money issue to consider, and the fact that you might not have any, in which case i'd say you should probably try starting with some EQ rather than compression...subtractive EQ...

a compressor is not a musical panacea, though many people seem to think it is...

Compression is not a panacea. However, I would say its a requirement on vocal tracks for 99% of singers (1% can "work" the mic in relation to distance to mic and overall dynamics).

The "shrill" problem is a big question mark. It could be a level problem - but who knows??? You might solve it with EQ, compression, a better mic, etc.

Are you recording digitally? Can you see the levels?

Can you get hold of (borrow) an SM-58? I find it a bit "warmer" than a 57 for a limited selection of mic options.

yeah it goes through a mixer into my audigy, the levels are fine, as are the trim levels. i bet its has a lot to do with the mic and preamp as im reading more about this on here. are 58's good for recording??

personally I like recording vocals on a SP B1... it just adds the right amount of breathiness/tone to my voice, but whateva

StupidKid said:
yeah it goes through a mixer into my audigy, the levels are fine, as are the trim levels. i bet its has a lot to do with the mic and preamp as im reading more about this on here. are 58's good for recording??

Just a suggestion. It would probably be an easy mic to borrow, as they are owned by many. I looked at that B1 mic online, looks like it may do the job you are looking for, being a larger diaphragm than the 57. Certainly worth a try!

yeah as i said a friend of ours is going to let us use his b1 when i get my firepod... any suggestions on compression levels? or does this all depend on the vocalist?

StupidKid said:
yeah as i said a friend of ours is going to let us use his b1 when i get my firepod... any suggestions on compression levels? or does this all depend on the vocalist?
Yes, it depends. You can try this

gain: 2 db
attack: 0 ms
release: 350 ms
threshold: -20 db
ratio: 3 to 5

KevinDrummer said:
Yes, it depends. You can try this

gain: 2 db
attack: 0 ms
release: 350 ms
threshold: -20 db
ratio: 3 to 5

on my compressor it doesnt have the ratio(or is it also called Amount) and it has an input and output gain. it also has an option for "auto gain compensation" and "Smooth Saturation". Could sombody plz explain to me what all this means?

Back