Getting a new kick a*s audio interface

hermanmern

hello guys!

I posted this question in other forum but I didn't get the info as much as I wanted. Hope you guys can help me. Thanks!

I want get a new audio interface and really need your help. I can't seem to make a decision on the expensive RME product or some other cheaper audio interface like presonus, focusrite etc.

I love the fact that RME product is top notch and what I really love about it is that the RME fireface UFX has the ability to mix (eq, comp, etc) before/while recording with the TotalMix FX. <-- correct me if I'm wrong Wink

The only problem with that is the price. If only the fireface UC comes with the TotalMix FX, that would be great.

MY WORK
I am currently recording rap/hiphop/r&b, rock/alternative/indie vocal so good vocal recording is important to me. (we'll talk about mic in the next topic ;))

I will only record acoustic/electric guitar and bass so a good if not great built in pre-amp is important as well.

lately I got friends from church asked me if they can record a choir session in my studio so I need more then 2 mic input.

Plug and play is a must Laughing

MY QUESTIONS

1. Any news regarding the fireface UC with the TotalMix FX?

2. Any other cheaper product with similar function but great quality?

Please fill me as much information as you can. Hope I can get one next month Smile

P/S: my budget is below $1500

Thanks guys!

I love the fact that RME product is top notch and what I really love about it is that the RME fireface UFX has the ability to mix (eq, comp, etc) before/while recording with the TotalMix FX. <-- correct me if I'm wrong

Idk if it can do that or not because I have zero experience with that product, but most people don't eq/comp/etc. on the way in anyways. It's a shoddy idea when compared with doing it during the mixing process, because say you eq a signal and then record it. It's now stuck like that...not good if you want to change it.

Well how many people are in the choir? I've gotten great recordings with two mics. Left and right side. With a small (10-15 people) choir of course. The room I record can't fit that much more :laughings::laughings::laughings:

Last edited:
I don't know whats so great about the Fireface UC. It has 2 preamps and only 2 XLR jacks. And it goes for $1200? What am I missing here?

I would have to agree that you do not want to be adding EQ/Comp/reverb or anything else on the input - for recording I usually try to get the cleanest signal possible with as little processing as I can - I prefer to add compression and EQ when mixing so I can actually listen to what I am doing.

I would look into some alternative interfaces, spend the extra money on good mics, monitors and room treatment (assuming you do not have that already). I would look for something with more preamps and inputs. The brochure says the UC is a 36 channel interface, but since there are obviously not 36 inputs on the thing it must mean it is expandable by chaining multiple units together (or adding an octo-mic via ADAT).

There are several good quality interfaces that come with 8 preamps and 16 channels built in for under $800

i 2nd... maybe 3rd? on the recording clean idea....

im loving my results with a presonus firestudio tube, logic pro 9 and KRK rockit 6's.... which i believe is just barely in that budget of urs.

Thanks guys! ;) at least I got some respond :D

arcadeko
- Any great audio interface with more then 2 input with a great pre-amp that you can recommend?

- Should I get a decent audio interface and separate (great pre-amp)? or should I get an audio interface with built in pre-amp?

CrowsofFritz
I think its around 10-15 people as well. what mic and audio interface do you use?

guitaristic
Any suggestion on audio interface?

Im going for a great interface below $1500 but of course it would be great if I can get a good interface in a cheaper price. As long as it is under $1500, Im alright with it.

It would also be great if it is "plug-and-play" kind of interface. I had enough with my old EMU1212m patchMix. waste a lot of my time.

Yes, I am building my studio for acoustic treatment and will be looking on mic in the next topic :D hope I can get a new interface before my room finish. (im using yamaha HS80M by the way).

please guys.. help me... aarrghhhh!!!!!:eek: hehe

Thanks

K

1) How many inputs do you think you'll need?
and
2) Do you want Firewire or USB 2.0? (I think the one you mentioned has both somehow, correct? I think I read that right...)

The interface I used was a MOTU 896. I used 2 LDC's (in cardiod). One on each side of the choir. The mics were pointed towards the center of the choir. Where are you recording this? In a church? If the church has great acoustics, you may want to use some Omni directional mics!

I am more familiar with the larger interfaces, like the Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 and the Tascam 1800 - There are a lot of small interfaces that are decent, I am sure some people here can recommend something.

Last edited:
Getting a top of the range interface is a bit like putting a turbo in your car; you won't be able to take advantage of its potential unless you address other things such as tyres, suspension, transmission and so on.

If the rest of your recording system is not high end also, then you might consider choosing an interface that will give you functionality and flexibility.

There are quality benefits in a high-end interface, but I expect that investing in other parts of the system instead will realise greater quality benefits, i.e. you will get greater value for your investment.

I thought I've already reply last night!?:confused:

It would be great if you guys can just give me the brand and model of the audio interface.

e.g: "hey man, go for brand A model 1234" or "hey, you should check brand X model %*#&%#$"

then, I will do research from there... I just need a head start. I know all the element that I should look for other then interface. PLEASE, I just want to talk about interface.

sorry, it's hard to answer all question when I got no answer. I don't care about the input, USB or firewire, big or small, price. As long as it is a great interface within my budget.

You're allowed to say "ass" by the way... especially in the context "sounds like ass" as is often used around here, but also "kick-ass" is fine.

There are other allowable uses too...:cool:

then, I will do research from there... I just need a head start. I know all the element that I should look for other then interface. PLEASE, I just want to talk about interface.

sorry, it's hard to answer all question when I got no answer. I don't care about the input, USB or firewire, big or small, price. As long as it is a great interface within my budget.

If you don't care about inputs, USB/Firewire, price, etc. It makes it really hard to recommend anything specific so I'll just go ahead and recommend my interface M-Audio Firewire 1814. It hasn't done me wrong and I got it fairly cheap...not sure if they still make them or not.

Check out Focusrite interfaces. I haven't tried their usb interfaces, but the firewire-ones are really great! (owning the liquid saffire 56 right now)

Back