getting a lot of reverb

needmyownstudio

my signal chain goes: shure sm 57 mic, hooked into a phonic mm1705, into my pc with a soundblaster live soundcard. im recording on cool edit. im getting a shit load of reverb and im not quite sure why. im just trying to do a few test records but the reverb is fuckin terrible. we stuck the mic in a corner, the distancing from the vocalist to the mic is fine. we also hung up a blanket in the corner behind the mic hoping to eliminate some reverb, but it improved nothing!

the SM57 should not pick up a lot of room sound... so I dun think the room is the problem....

you mixer should not have built-in effect, so I guess the mixer is not the problem....

I know soundblaster comes with some application that has effects to your signal... perhaps that is what causing the reverb... see if you can disable that...

a note with recording with SM57, you should be very near to the mic... (a.ka. eating the mic) and use a pop filter....

From what little I can find on the internet, the Phonic MM1705 has built-in "EFX" (their term). It sounds like you have it set up with reverb.

Back