Getting a drum loop from cd onto your fostex

shadowmansongs

Hi there,

I am a user of the Fostex VF160 digital now for almost two years. The one thing I can't manage to do is to take drum or bass samples off a CD and get them into a program.

I know now that the Fostex deals only in 16bit sound files. But I downloaded such files, burned them onto a CD-RW and I get the ADAT/SD/ANALOGUE thing flashing everytime.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this or the procedure to get even one bar of a drum beat into a new program and then copy and paste it?

Driving me crazy!!

Thanks!!

importing audio

The loops must be in WAV format (44.1kHz/16bit) and they also need to be in mono not stereo form, to load into the VF.

'Orc

importing drum loops

Thanks Orc for that info. Im completely in the dark regarding importing sounds to the fostex. Do i need to start a new program first? Do I just set up the 16 bit mono cd and press record?

Sorry, but im not a tech head and its all very confusing to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Glenn

operating systems for vf 160

Hi Paj,

I dont know how to determine what operating system my fostex VF160 uses. The best I could find was in the driver information at the bottom of the submenu it said VF 01.01 VF160? Is that what you mean?

I know I have the right type of file (WAV), the right frequency (16 bit) but I just cant seem to load a drum sample or anything onto the fostex.

Appreciate the help,

Glenn

Don't feel bad, I came here tonight for exactly the same reason. I am trying to burn a drum loop from acid onto a CD and upload it into my Fostex-VF160 and I have not been able to make it work yet. Someone please help?

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

One of the best drum solutions I have found is the David Jones drum CD's that Fostex put out. They are absolutely fantastic and import every time, but the problem is that they are too short. I like to jam for much longer than 2 and a half minutes, so I have been trying to cut and paste a few together and burn them to a CD from Acid to load into the Fostex but I have not been able to make it work yet.

If someone could please spell it out for me in a language that even an idiot could understand, I would be SO grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Sadly if you have version 1.01 of the software you'll be unable to export WAV formats and i think you'll be unable to import them too - some else will confirm this.

You'll need to upgrade your software version to anything above 1.01. I know becuase I have 1.01 and can't export, though I've not tried to import.

Further bad news.
In order to upgrade the software you'll need to attach a zip drive to your vf160, you can't do it from a CD in the CD drive. Great eh?

The good news is that once you've upgraded the software you can perform further upgrades in future from the inbuilt CD drive (I'm assuming you have a CD drive).

Blak Jak Balla said:
Don't feel bad, I came here tonight for exactly the same reason. I am trying to burn a drum loop from acid onto a CD and upload it into my Fostex-VF160 and I have not been able to make it work yet. Someone please help?

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

One of the best drum solutions I have found is the David Jones drum CD's that Fostex put out. They are absolutely fantastic and import every time, but the problem is that they are too short. I like to jam for much longer than 2 and a half minutes, so I have been trying to cut and paste a few together and burn them to a CD from Acid to load into the Fostex but I have not been able to make it work yet.

If someone could please spell it out for me in a language that even an idiot could understand, I would be SO grateful!

Thanks in advance!

You need to save the files in the root folder of the CD, and named exactly like they are named on the David Jones CD.

eg: AAAAAA01.WAV, AAAAAA02.WAV

The fostex cannot recognise any other filename, or if yuou have used "folders" on your CD.

or, you could simply cut and paste them in the Fostex.

Tube

Back