Get Thy Bearings: criticism appreciated

Wow. I can't believe I listened to the whole thing. I need a hug.

OK. I presume you meant for the vocals to be that pitchy. Otherwise, I'm recommending autotune for the first time in my life.

Maybe it's just me, but I could do without that whole cacaphonic 2 or so minutes of whatever that was in the middle. I mean, you kind of have a whole musical disaster theme going on, with a bit of a Beatles vibe, but I don't think the Beatles could even get away with that. The song is almost 5 minutes long. I think you have some leeway to cut some of that stuff out and still have a song left.

Hope that wasn't too harsh, but I hate to let you roll onto the second page with no feedback at all.

Wow...that was really odd. Mostly in a cool way. I didn't care for the intro too much, but once the trashy electric guitar stuff started happening, I was pretty well hooked through to the end. The tune itself was all over the place which made for an interesting listen to be sure. I didn't mind the length.

The vocals were unusual although I kind of liked the heavily processed sound. Pitch was really an issue at times though.

Not sure what to say mix-wise as I'm not entirely sure what you were going for. There did seem to be an odd clipping-like sound accompanying some of the snare hits when the song really built up. I don't know exactly what it was but it was bothersome...if no one else hears it, then blame it on my or my set up here. Very creative. I enjoyed it.

Enjoyed your work again moogmymellotron - trashy without sounding amateurish. Reminds me of the likes of Royal Trux/Mars Volta etc. Crashing together of different ideas, excellent.

I hear that clipping too though, which is quite annoying, so I'd get that sorted out if possible.

I didnt find it thrashy or garagy at all, I found it to be over-produced and somewhat contrived, rather than improvised. The mega distorted stuff will really take a special audience to enjoy it, which there may be IDK?

You either like this or hate it. I like it. It's definitely very creative and I would class this as a rock "symphony". If it's possible add some more vocals or lead instruments - as the instrumentals are repetiive and could lose the listener at times. The distortion is up to you. I'd be interested to hear a cleaner mix but I wonder if it would take away the vibe.

Wow. I can't believe I listened to the whole thing. I need a hug.

OK. I presume you meant for the vocals to be that pitchy. Otherwise, I'm recommending autotune for the first time in my life.

Maybe it's just me, but I could do without that whole cacaphonic 2 or so minutes of whatever that was in the middle. I mean, you kind of have a whole musical disaster theme going on, with a bit of a Beatles vibe, but I don't think the Beatles could even get away with that. The song is almost 5 minutes long. I think you have some leeway to cut some of that stuff out and still have a song left.

Hope that wasn't too harsh, but I hate to let you roll onto the second page with no feedback at all.

taking your critique into consideration i thought you would have had much better music on your page...

thanks though

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed your work again moogmymellotron - trashy without sounding amateurish. Reminds me of the likes of Royal Trux/Mars Volta etc. Crashing together of different ideas, excellent.

I hear that clipping too though, which is quite annoying, so I'd get that sorted out if possible.

hey thanks robgreen! thats kinda the vibe i go for. More King Crimson-ish. Seems like alot of people on this forum have no idea who they were or they wouldve "got" the idea behind the song being heavy and trashy. Crimson covered get thy bearings and i wrote out my own version of the tune as a ...'tribute' to the great crimson kings.

also, i listened to the track back on my end and that clip popping sound mustve been some upload error of sorts, that noise isnt on the actual reel.

Its a work in progress thats done now and will be seeing a pretty hefty release across this summer.

thanks again!

I liked some of the guitar sounds. the crunchy guit on the left sounded cool.

As has been said, the vocals are pitchy. I'd put the doubled tracks down the center myself.

Later on in the song there is some percussive instrument that is constantly clipping.

I liked it, but it came thru muddled tonewise for me. Other than that, it was an original sound. I always like that.

Thanks. :cool:

It is very muddy & needs a rethink in EQing & mixing.
I like the song & the trip it goes on through Beatedelica etc.
Come back again with a cleaned up mix please.

Back